GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:48:51 -0500
Ebrima, let me seize this opportunity to agree with you about the fact that
there is absolutely no cause for jubilation over the repeal of Decree 89 but
let me also hasten to add that it should not have been there in the first
place along with all others that were promulgated since 1994 to this day.
This government has never been legal in the eyes of many Gambians because it
has criminally overthrown a legally constituted government in the name of
false allegations in the face of the world.

While section 60 of the constitution is still in the books, I think our
immediate focus ought to be what strategy to employ to salvage our country
from another five years under yaya Jammeh. Whether it is members of the
previous administration or the current opposition parties, we cannot afford
to put our individual egos above the welfare of our country. I believe it
will be a win win/win situation for old opposition  party leaders such as
Mr. Sheriff M. Dibba, Mr. Assan M. Camara and Alh. Sir Dawda to fully
participate fully in this election but their participation should come in
the form of an endorsement of a single opposition party and campaign for
them around the country.

We can't afford to nourish Yaya's desire of trying to drive a wedge between
the current opposition and the old opposition and government by repealing
Decree 89 barely three months before the election. I hope we will all be
wise and reject this hanky-panky and political skullduggery politics and
elect a democratic govt. in the country where all voices will be listened
to, where human rights and freedom of expression will flourish without fear
of being raided by the NIA and other vigilante groups. We must work towards
cleaning the mess then concentrate on rebuilding our country's reputation
after the elections.

Thanks,
Mori Kebba Jammeh