GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 14:08:31 GMT
Tombong,

You're right in emphasising the Gambia's position in the rankings. Your
govt. deserves commendation for improving the mortality rate. As indeed you
deserve Thumbs Up on the Education side. 51 Gambians just received their
degrees from the UEP. If that started twenty-five/tweny years ago, the
Gambia would be a little different today. IN MY JUDGMENT. We don't say these
things enough on this List, so it's understandable that most of you on the
govt.'s side belief that this an anti Jammeh medium. But, in truth, there
are very few real successes to celebrate.

However, on the mortality issue, I don't think Mr. Bah was disputing the
figures per se. Instead, he was trying to put a "human face" on the
statistics. In human terms, the Gambia's ranking translates into thousands
of children still dying of preventable health conditions. And a single death
is one too many. So, while there's cause for encouragement, much remains to
be done. So, Bravo to your govt. but let's not get bogged down with the
rankings. The Gambia's "enviable" position in the rankings does not signify
how great things are in the country. It shows how terrible things are in
Africa overall.

Saul.