GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ansumana Kujabi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 21:14:49 -0000
COLLY:

Once again, very many thanks for another brilliant piece. Your stories are
more than just names World-wide, for you are setting the records straight,
and more importantly, you are piecing together for us the  pivotal role each
and every officer played in the coup. The significance of these stories
cannot be determined in volumes, but their eminence and validity should be
absolutely paramount in the eyes of DEFENSE EXPERTS, NATIONAL SECURITY
ADVISERS and INTELLIGENT AGENTS in the country. Colly, you are NOT only
educating and informing us about what really happened, but also
significantly highlighting the FUNDAMENTAL ILLS that ruptured the entire
COMMAND STRUCTURE of the GNA. In addition, you have depicted the fundamental
causes of instability that befell our beautiful country for the past seven
years. Considering the present changing security environment prevailing in
our country, the emergence of your stories is a clear signal for the next
leader of our country to take a closer look at the entire security
arrangements of the nation. Whether Darboe, Halifa or Bah, who ever assumes
power, his first priority MUST be to correct the security ills that befell
the country. Though, many prominent contributors like KB, SAUL have vividly
dwelled on these fundamental ills, it is once again necessary to take a
closer look at each of these ills, separately.

RUPTURED COMMAND STRUCTURE
--------------------------
The Antouman Sahos of this World are the kind of officers who caused the
systematic and gradual rupture of the very fine command structure that was
in existence since in the beginning of the young GNA. Talking to a retired
senior officer who served during the time of the British Army Training
Team(BATT) in the Gambia, Officers like Saho had imported the former Field
Force and Police cultures of "DOGODOGO" and INTEGRITY PROSTITUTION,
BOOT-LEAKING superiors for promotion, into the young Army. The culture of
DOGODOGO and Integrity prostitution had been the SOLE STANDARD for promotion
at the expense of COMPETENCE in the old Field Force and Police force. Honest
performance and excellence on the job were secondary standards gauged for
promotion. According to this senior officer I was chatting with, since most
of the senior officers were taken from both the police and Field force to
form the command structure of the very young GNA, those senior officers
transferred to the GNA, were the very people who encouraged the Sahos of
this World. Officers like Saho had bought their way to the top. Giving fuel,
fish, cola-nuts, lobbying women and in some instances even giving their
monthly salaries to superiors just for promotion. Consequently, the culture
of dogodogo and integrity prostitution became the only standard for
promoting officers, even during the time of the Nigerians officers. This
situation caused serious mistrust between the junior and senior officers up
to a point that the Army was being managed like a civilian institution. I am
told that execution of command orders from top to bottom was at all time
low, and as a result, MORALE amongst the junior officers was in bits, and
ESPIRIT-DE-CORP was just a name within the officer corp. As time went on,
however, the situation became out of control with some officers being
COURT-MARTIALED in the presence of their subordinates, whiles some officers
resigned. According to this senior officer, the Command structure became so
disoriented that Senior Officers could no longer command respect from their
juniors. Consequently, DISGRUNTLE NESS cropped up within the junior ranks,
and that was when every thing started to erupt out of control.

MILITARY IMBALANCE
------------------
Colly, as you had already re-emphasized, the next president come October
MUST vigorously deplete the vast imbalance that existed between the TSG and
the ARMY. As we have come to comprehend in your consecutive episodes of the
coup, that TSG's sheer rifles were no match for the sophisticated and
well-equipped ARMY as they matched towards the Capital to overthrow the
JAWARA government without much resistance. Even in Nigeria where coups used
to be frequent, if DODAN BARRACKS were not in for any coup or if any of the
well-equipped units were not in for any coup, that particular coup was bound
to be a failure. And the point to stress here is that there were never
existing ANTAGONISTIC UNITS in Nigeria that used to serve as units of checks
and balances of the Nigerian Army. But despite that, each individual unit
must be behind any coup in Nigeria before that coup will succeed. What I am
trying to portray here is that BALANCE OF POWER between ANTAGONISTIC forces,
NOT forces of the same units, ACT as a form of resistance or impediment to
the MAL-INTENTIONS of the each other. Therefore, it was a huge oversight on
the part of Former President Jawara's Senior Security Adviser to brush aside
the crucial significance of Balance of Power.

DECENTRALIZATION AND BALANCE OF POWER
------------------------------------
Colly, you have mentioned another very essential Defense Strategy, though
costly for the government to implement in a short-run, it will profoundly
impinge on future Balance of Power between antagonistic units of security
forces. Decentralization is only feasible when power balance between
differing units in terms of TRAINING, EQUIPMENTS and PROFESSIONALISM is
non-existent, so that each unit serves as the POLICEMAN of the other. In
most advanced countries such as the United States and England where there is
a well established military culture and a deep rooted democratic system in
place, there may be no need for such extensive decentralization of a check
and balance on units existing side by side. Unfortunately, in a culture such
as ours, where wearing even a military camouflage tends to hypnotize CLOWNS
and MORONS like JAMMEH, EDWARD, SABALLY, TOURAY, of course, we definitely
need a decentralized balanced power between units stationed in the same
locality. Therefore, your idea of decentralizing balanced power in the
BADDIBOUS would be a brilliant idea, and worth trying.

In conclusion, Colly, I must once again commend you for such a well-thought
out presentation. You are really a hero, and we are indebted to you for your
honest efforts in piecing these together. Your episodes and analyses will
always be a GUIDING LIGHT for whoever may replace the Moron. Similarly, your
analyses of Imbalance, Decentralization and the Ruptured Command Structure
in the Army will provide a succinct insight for future Defense Experts and
Security advisers. To that end, brother, this is another superb performance.

Ansumana Kujabi.