GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 16:04:18 +0200
Gambia-l,
Can anyone tell me whether the Match between The Black Stars of Ghana and the
Scorpions of Gambia took place last weekend and what the scores were?

Gambia's Under 17 team have yesterday won 1-0 over Ethiopia yesterday in the
African cup of nations championship in Swaziland. Scorer: No 11, Kebba Bah, 37
min.

Good luck to the Gambian Team!

Momodou Camara

Gambia's grand entry to Swaziland 2003
Tuesday, 20 May 2003

Gambia, a small Western Africa country bordering the North Atlantic Ocean and
Senegal, defied all odds to qualify for CAF Under-17 African Championship,
their first ever appearance in any African competitions since its affiliation
to FIFA and CAF in 1962.

A success highly applauded right from the President to ordinary man in the
street, having made a point that Gambian football is growing and deserves a
commendable position in African football scene.

The Gambians deserve all the praise for achieving this at the expense of Mali
and Zambia. They avenged the 1-0 home loss in Banjul by beating Mali 1-0 in the
return leg played in Bamako before a 4-2 penalty shoot out, which set the stage
for a clash with Zambia.

Gambia rose to the occasion in the fifth minute when Ebrima Sohua scored the
only goal of the match.

Zambia staged numerous attempts to level up, but to no avail and not even a
penalty could save them from defeat, thanks to a glorious save by the Gambian
goalkeeper Abouie Njie.

Gambia erupted in celebration following the win. The second vice-president and
senior FA official Seedy Kinteh in a joyful reaction noted that the team had
proven that Gambian football is on the rise.

"The trend these boys take is very promising. They have a knack of winning
away," said Kinteh.

Gambia has taken a giant step to qualify and the players quite uncertain of
what await them in their first international outing. However, springing
surprises to defy their underdog statues in Swaziland may not be ruled out as
these determined set of players march into pitch.