GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:21:35 +0100
---forwarded mail START---
From: [log in to unmask],Internet
To:   [log in to unmask],Internet
Date: 18/02/00 17:22
Subject: letter on no problems in the Gambia, Hofstede
Modou, Gini, Prince, G-list members,

As the current slogan of Gambians is **peace and respect** an aggressive
activity like invading the authors of “no problem in the Gambia?” seems to
me not fit to create an environment for a better understanding. Instead I
very much support the idea of writing a counter-declaration and forwarding
this to the authors as well as additionally publishing better information
on
the Gambia.

As we have the site address now (thanks Prince)I was able to read the
German
article in original. I already did a brief text analysis. This showed my
that this article is characterised by ignorance and misunderstanding of
cultural differences as well as effects of personal bad experiences which
partly derive from these.

Their interpretation of what they experienced is clearly done by their
cultural background.

I use the term culture in the definition of Hofstede[1], culture as a
software of the mind, mental programs. These are learned in the environment
one grew up, since early childhood “within family, neighbourhood, at
school,
in youth groups, at work place and in the living community.”

The core of culture is formed by values. They deal with

evil vs. good

dirty vs. clean

ugly vs. beautiful

unnatural vs. natural

abnormal vs. normal

paradoxical vs. logical

irrational vs. rational

They are learned implicitly and remain unconscious to those who hold them.
They cannot be directly observed from outsiders but only inferred from the
way people act.

Culture is completed by practises that “carry a particular meaning which is
only recognized by those who share the culture.” This refers to “symbols”
like words, gestures, pictures, objects…, “heroes” (people with a high
reputation in a culture) and “rituals” like ways of greeting, paying
respect
to others, social and religious ceremonies, business meetings….

From my own experience I can tell that it is very difficult for a European
to understand and interpret situations in the Gambian culture. Many issues
seem to match perfectly with current interpretations from the view of the
European. Only when knowing more detail on the culture one will become
aware
of the authentic background and thus be able of a more accurate
interpretation.

People travelling to the Gambia will hardly get a chance to experience the
genuine cultural background when staying separate from the Gambian society.
Merely living among Gambians for some time and being open to any
differences
could show the way to a better understanding.

Furthermore any travelling for tourism or even more for business matters
should be appropriately prepared by a cultural awareness program.
Unfortunately for the Gambia, and similar for the whole West Africa, there
are only few sensible materials available.

Therefore I would like to ask all G-list members to contribute with any
source of information they know. I would like to collect this on a website
as a source of reliable information accessible to anybody in the world.
Those who think of books and articles which they strongly criticize would
please be so kind as to write a few lines of evaluation on it. For any
contribution please direct them to [log in to unmask]

As we all love the Gambia we should do our best to support the country.
Especially today in the “information age” we could take care of peoples
respect towards the Gambia by providing sensible information and promoting
the Gambia.

So far for now

my best wishes for Independent Day to everybody

Angelika Prox Dampha

----

[1]  Hofstede, Geert, Cultures and Organizations, Software of the mind,
Maidenhead 1991

---forwarded mail END---

Momodou Camara.
18.2.2000   19:16
--- OffRoad 1.9v registered to Momodou Camara