GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:53:02 +0000
Beran, thanks for this forward.  We need more people like Mr. Sam in The
Gambia.  His frank depiction of the culture of greed in our society is what
most folks on this list are fighting against.  It is also unfortunate that
most of the pro APRC folks that surface on this forum seem to portray this
view that as long as they have theirs, then Jammeh is ok.  Even though they
claim to understand the suffering of the people, they surely are not
interested in the plight of the majority of Gambians who are poor and
needing everyday.  This is also the attitude that is upheld by most of the
people back home who think they made it or are making it.  How come we do
not hear from the struggling Gambian?  We only hear from the few
beneficiaries of the status quo.  Folks, just because your person is not
unemployed, hungry, sick, or desperately in need of the basic necessities of
life, does not mean our country is alright.  When we talk about the plight
of the average Gambian, we are not referring to the privileged few (whether
they earned their lifestyle or are the beneficiary of the Jammeh
kleptocracy), but the overwhelming majority that live below the poverty mark
by any standard.  You measure the progress of a nation not by using the self
as the yardstick, but by the standard of living of the majority of its
citizens.  I was dumbstruck when I heard a friend of mine constantly refer
to places like Banjul, Sere Kunda, Bakau, etc. as the "Real Ghetto" and
where he lives as the place for the cultured and affluent, even though his
family, former friends, and relatives still reside in those very places he
is looking down upon.  This is the polluted perception that prevails in the
minds of this tiny minority living on borrowed time.  If you want to press
your case on the schools that Yaya built or is building, the hospitals, the
generators, and promises of other good to come, please be balanced and also
criticize the killing of the students, Koro Ceesay and others, the plight of
the farmers, his ill gotten wealth, the massive unemployment, daily
irrational threats to Gambians, constant arrests and intimidating tactics,
etc.  I welcome your promotion of your preference in this struggle, but I
also expect that you critcize the wrongs on your side, just as you see those
of the opposite persuasion do.  Do not mistake our pursuit of the truth
within the opposition as an infighting, but a healthy and balanced approach
to fostering an environment that is just for all Gambians.  Remember, this
is not a contest for the loudest, but the pursuit of a better Gambia for
all.  Like Sam cautioned, lets reflect on the National Anthem, for their
lies the answers to our problems.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou