GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:14:02 +0200
Kondeh,

I am afraid that I will have to join Kebba to remind you that it is the military who took over the running of the state in the Gambia. So, for me or anyone to remove it from the political scenario, will be confusing. The army is an institution just like the state and they are part of our political lives as you can see.

Speaking of a highly trained and disciplined army that is what we are all talking about. We are sick and tired of military brutality. I do believe that you will agree with me that the military has  very poor record in Africa and their track records speak for themselves. You have all right to feel the way you felt but the reality remains that  we are sick and tired of  the "Men in Arms"  running the government with revolutionary slogans whiles they are just murders.

What one is saying here is that we should start looking into why do our military behave the way  they do . Don't forget the Nigerian army has gone the same process and training that the Gambian army has gone through under the British. We share the same colonial thread. I share your frustration but here we are dealing with a national issue as well as trying to find a solution to our home problem. Unfortunately the military is part of the problems and not the solution.

<<<<It was only with a well trained and a discipline Armed Force that we managed to avoid crisis happening during the 22 July take over.>>>.

I just find it difficult to understand the above statement because I did not see any crisis the Armed Forced has save us from.  These people took over power when Gambian's are so desperate for change, people were fed up with the PPP regime but that still did not justify the coup. The worse thing was the fact that they kept on reminding us of a bloodless coup which they clearly don't believe in and knows that it is not true. It is like as the saying goes jumping from the frying pan to the fire for us. If the army was as disciplined and trained as you stipulated in your above statement they would have gone back to barracks. I know this is a difficult issue to debate but am afraid we just have to face up to it.

Ebrima  Ceesay I believe that one can also check with the Department for International Development since Kondeh believes that British Government resumed military aid after careful study. DFID shoould be able to give us an explaination.

The Struggle Continues!!!!!
Ndey Jobarteh