GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:58:53 -0400
After 'immunizing' the murderers of our children that slaughtered more than
a dozen innocent and defenseless children on April 10 and 11, 2001, the
government has finally seen the futility in putting our children in further
jeopardy and have withdrawn their  (government's) merit-less case against
the victims of the Massacre.

Reading the Independent Newspaper, the words of Lawyer Ousman Sillah jumps
out. He said: "We were ready to proceed and go on with the appeal because we
felt that there was NO SUBSTANCE in the appeal, and they have wisely
withdrawn it". Emphasis mine.

Well, months ago when the illegal government proposed this quid pro quo, I
cried foul and said that it was ridiculous for Gambians to accept the
Indemnity Decree (impunity of the murderers) in exchange for the
non-prosecution of our children. I had in mind the same exact sentiments
Sillah is talking about here. The government is not giving away anything.
They DO NOT have a case. They were going to fail in the persecution of our
children any way. By withdrawing this appeal, the government is NOT doing
our children a favor. This is simple damage control. This was a case they
have already lost in court and were appealing an unfavorable ruling; an
appeal they knew they were going to lose.

They cannot use this appeal withdrawal as a justification to 'immunize' the
animals that slaughtered our children. We will not exchange damage to Gamtel
installations for the lives of our children. The murderers (including Yaya)
must face justice. I am glad people like Sillah saw into the shenanigans of
these vermin. I hope they inform their clients (the victims) that this
withdrawal is not a favor from the government. A robber does not do you a
favor by claiming that he is stealing from other people but is sparing your
property. Yaya is not doing our children a favor by claiming that he is
telling Joseph Joof to stop this State-sanctioned lawlessness that goes on
in our society.

What we have here is murderers going scot-free thanks to an Indemnity Decree
passed in parliament and victims being persecuted for crimes they did NOT
commit. This lawlessness can only happen in a Dictatorship. Massacre of
innocent and defenseless children, an impotent coroner, a bogus and
toothless commission of inquiry, and finally a Decree saying that it is OK
to slaughter innocent children in the country so long as you are acting on
Yaya's orders. No mention of courts and judges anywhere. Matter of fact what
we have are laws that say that courts cannot try and convict criminals whose
activities are sanctioned by Yaya. This is pathetic.
KB