GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:21:20 -0500
"Yes "democracy" should be different from culture to culture. It is already
different. A typical example is time limit unlike in UK. The UK system is
"democratic" per Se but they still have a monarchy."

UK is what is known as a Constituional monarchy, and while that may be so,
they still have certain democratic principles to which they ascribe, such as
the rule of law, due process, etc.  And when I say "democracy", this is what
I'm referring to.  And no matter what "culture" you're talking about, these
democratic principles should be respected.

"In the US, not in every state does one have to prove citizenship to vote.
In UK every where in UK, one have to prove citizenship to vote."

     I can't speak for the UK, but in the US, one must be a citizen to vote!
Although I don't remember how they "proved" or disproved, my citzenship when
I went to get registered!  You may not have to "prove" your citzenship, but
someone, somewhere along the way has to see whether or not your vote is
valid.  So I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  But the bottom line
is that if you're not a US citizen you can't vote!  And that's a reasonable
requirement.

  So give us a break. There is no perfect "democracy" anywhere. Yahya might
be clueless what democracy is all about, but that does not minimize a well
respected guy like the UN envoy. I bet if he was not from Africa this issue
would not have come up.

     The "respectability" of Mr. Abubakar is not the issue here!  What
botheres me is thta he seems to be downplaying the problems with the
just-concluded Gambian election, and doesn't seem to think that they are any
big deal.  And it is just too convenient that this man was part of a
military dictatorship himself.  How ironic / convenient, don't you think?
And what is this about being African?  Being from Africa has nothing to do
with this, except that the continent these men happen to be from.  If we
were talking about Parvez Musharraf, who also took over in a coup, my
reaction would have been the same.  And he is the ruler of Pakistan.  So not
sure what you're trying to say or imply here.

"We all know what happened in the last US elections. Observers came from the
EU and they were denied access to the polls in Ohio unlike any other state
they were stationed at."

Oh, so this makes it OK for Jammeh to act in whatever way he wants because
"the US is doing it"?  See, this is what happens when a government like hte
US holds itself up as the world's "moral authority" or "moral ejuidcator",
because it gives people such as Yahya Jammeh the excuse to brutalize and
torture his own people.  Becuase all he has to do is be like you and say
"give us a break, look what the US is doing".  Even now the US government is
trying to find ways around the Geneva Convention, or even git rid of parts
of it all together, to allow lovely little things like Torture, etc.  So I
guess, you're right, why should Jammeh be prodded into doing better when the
great USA can't, or won't?

"So Ginny, give us a break and stop judging people."

"Stop judign people"?  OK, then so it's all right for Yahya Jammeh to
authorize the killing of his political opponents, unarmed studnets,
journalists, he can threaten his perceived poltical opponents, etc., etc.,
etc., and I, as an Aermcain can't say anything, because "look what's
hapening in Ohio".  I'd like to think that if George W. Bush starts
resorting to the same sort of tactics that people outside of the US won't
try to rationalize his behavior by saying "democracy is just different in
America", or "he has a right to rule his country the way he sees fit", etc.
I'd like to think that if I were under a brutal, tyrannical regime, that
someone out there would fight for me, even if what is going on doesn't
affect them.

Being "African", or "American" has nothing to do with it.  What we are
talking about is an evil and brutal man who cares nothing for the rights of
even his own people!  And I don't care if you're talking about Jammeh or
anyone else!  What is wrong is worng, and we should not walk softly just
because he's "African", or whatever!

Ginny