GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:03:01 +0000
Amadu Kabir

A brilliant point!

For your information, whilst Gassa may be right about
the Kombo Coastal Roads, he should be ready to face
some questions about the state of the roads when the
Gambia had its first rainfall during the month of
January 2002, as KB would say the "poto poto" was
almost everywhere to be seen. Just look at the road
from Westfield to Abuko, two years ago, it was
reported that the highway was under construction.
Believe me, it is still at a standstill.

Can Gassa shed some light as to why the Westfield to
Abuko is still beyond repair?

Am I right to believe that the Kombo Coastal Road was
constructed only to ensure that Tourists travel
swiftly to their respective hotels?

Apart from the roads under construction, Can Gassa
shed some light on why Cuban doctors are still finding
it difficult to speak simple English to the native
Gambians that require their assistance. For your
information, I witness a situation at RVH where an
operator found it difficult to communicate to Cuban
Doctor, due to the Cuban doctor's inability  to speak
proper English.

Poor Office equipment; whilst Yahya Jammeh is highly
known for making personal donations to some Government
institutions, Can I bring your attention to the state
of the office equipment at the Immigration Department.
Just pay a visit at Leman Street, the Office equipment
at the Immigration Department, it gives us a wrong
impression about APRC's development projects.

By the way, I visited the Medical Health Department to
acquire a Health Certificate for food Stuff scheduled
for the United Kingdom. On arrival, I was told by one
of the Environment Health Inspectors that they had
only one blank copy in stock. At this point, I asked
the Inspector as to whether he can get me a photocopy
, there he replied by saying that "we don't have a
photocopying machine." As a result, I had to visit a
private Company and request for copies to be made at
my own expense. In fact, I did deposit some spare
copies to the Enviromental Health Inspectors for
future use.

Well Gassa, this is just a gist of what I experience
in the Gambia, stay tuned for some more information.
Having spent 6 good weeks in the Gambia, I noticed
some GOOD things about the APRC, but having said so, I
still experience a lot of BAD which at times
undermines your honest analysis on APRC's "landmark
achievements"

Have a wonderful day.

Sanusi Owens