GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:58:44 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 7:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tamsir Jallow Head of APRC...

Tamsir Jallow Head of the APRC Bandwagon

Email This Page

Print This Page

The Independent (Banjul)
INTERVIEW
August 24, 2001
Posted to the web August 24, 2001
Olufemi Jr
Banjul, the Gambia
President Jammeh's spine-chilling threats to hurl his opponents 'six feet deep' is, to say the least, regrettable. While it is most unexpected from a man of his status, it certainly brings to light the personal crisis of a president struggling to come to terms with his civilianisation. But majority leader, Tamsir Jallow, has other ideas. According to him, those disquieting presidential utterances show the level of Jammeh's concern and care for peace and tranquility!
Born in the early forties, Tamsir Jallow attended Muhammedan primary school and obtained Secondary education from St. Augustine's and Swedru Secondary School in Ghana. He bagged an Advanced Diploma in Chemistry and Biology from the University of Cape Coast, Ghana, a Diploma in Educational Administration and Bachel or of Philosophy in Education in developing countries from the University of Birmingham in the middle belt of England. With a post-graduate Diploma in Curriculum studies from the University of Kenya and present head of the Gambia Teacher's Union, Jallow, in this Portrait issue, harps on why first republic politicians are spent forces, why the APRC will triumph in the October polls and his functions as Majority leader in the National Assembly.

How long have you been in the political field?
Well, I don't know what you mean by how long, but I have been in the political field all my life. You may not know but I have benefited from projects in Ghana in the 60s. I was schooled there and trained in different political fields. I attended the Kwame Nkrumah Ideological Institute and I read widely on political materials also.
Is the Gambian political landscape healthy, considering the scary words of both the ruling and opposition parties?
(Hesitates) Yes, I think it is healthy but, politics being what it is, it is unavoidable to hear some of those so-called scary utterances. It is all part of the game and creates no tension, whatsoever. Also, it has been the approach The Gambia is more used to, since the 50s. It is unfortunate that our politics have been permeated by these kind of scary utterances, including personal insults directed at individuals in the political arena.
Are you confident of an APRC victory in October?
Yes, I'm very, very confident! We will sweep the polls in both the presidential and parliamentary elections.
What makes you think so?
Well, the signs are there, the writing is clear on the wall. You can see that the opposition is still battling among itself over their own problem of leadership, a move, which augurs well for the APRC party.
Why did you describe old politicians as spent forces?
I cannot see them telling or bringing Gambians anything new. What innovations are they going to bring for the development of this country if for thirty years they have not introduced anything that is different. They have not done more than the APRC has done in seven years. In fact, the APRC government has done more than they did in terms of socio-economic achievements in health, education, agriculture, the media, you name it.
So you think they have nothing to offer politically?
I'm not saying they don't have anything to offer. I'm saying that they have nothing new to offer.
As majority leader of the National Assembly, what do you do?
I am basically responsible for the mobilization of the APRC party in the National Assembly. I work with the chief whip and other whips and we give direction to activities and operations, which includes voting in the National Assembly.
Are you hoping to occupy this office after the elections?
I cannot comment on that. Remember I have been nominated not elected.
Who erred on the tractor controversy, was it you or the president?
I wouldn't want to comment on that as the matter has already been debated extensively. It is not a matter of who erred.
Isn't the president fond of uttering six-feet-deep threats?
No, that is not a threat.
What would you call it?
It is a way of telling Gambians that he is responsible for their security and will not allow anybody to destabilize this country. That is exactly what he meant. In some countries, it could be more than six feet deep!
But, isn't that chilling from the Gambian perspective?
No, it is not. It is just a matter of exercising his responsibility as the commander in chief and the president responsible for national security.
Doesn't it suggests Jammeh's soldierly manners?
If I had my way, everybody would be a soldier! This country is very small and everybody has a responsibility to defend it. I think everybody should see himself as a soldier.
With a coalition to face in October, won't APRC's hold onto power be wrested from them?
What makes you think so?
The votes might be scattered and could go against the APRC?
No, I don't think so. Infact, it will be to our advantage.
Your recent blasting of the IEC showed you as having no soft spot for it. Why?
I do. It is a matter of criticism and I have all rights and responsibilities to say my mind about how the body runs its affairs.
But aren't you intruding?
What do you mean?
Jabbing your hands into their affairs?
No, no! It is a matter of helping them also to see another perspective of their work.
Why is the APRC leadership shying away from on-the-spot counting?
(Hesitates) Why are people promoting counting on the spot? What is the advantage of counting on the spot?
It was used during the Sami Chieftancy elections and the bye-elections.
But what has it done that decentralised counting cannot do? If you talk of transparency, decentrailised counting is equally transparent. It is something that has been used for thirty years or more and no flaws have been raised by people in those days.
Then why was it used during Sami and the bye-elections in March?
Well, it was for the ease, I suppose, of those elections. But I think it should been done in a more legal way as everything should have been gazetted.
You once said that the constitutional amendments were to better the lives of the people. How?
Well, the amendments were done in the interest of the people. Let's take, for instance, the issue of electing chiefs, where in the world are chiefs elected? Gambia is the only country that has done that and this would normally create conflict. Really, it does not make sense to elect chiefs.
So it would be proper for the president to handpick chiefs?
It is proper for the president to appoint chiefs, not handpick them, and using the procedures by the amended provision of the constitution.
Isn't the APRC government tampering with the IEC's work?
What do you mean by that?
The sacking of Bishop Tilewa Johnson?
The matter is in the courts and I cannot comment.
Is President Jammeh here to stay?
If you mean the APRC government and its leader, of course, we are here to stay as a political force!
So you see no threat to unseat you?
No, no, no! There is no threat. None at all!