GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:45:50 -0000
Essa Thomas,

You wrote:  +ACI-

Could you give concrete examples of what constitute my 'political
diplomacy'? Do not see this question in any negative light. I sincerely wish
to learn from you. Have you been following everything we are doing? If you
have not, I will be willing to give cassettes of our rallies, symposia,
press releases, copies of GONGA, which is now PDOIS' political organ to any
relative of yours who is willing to pay the cost so that you can have an up
date of how PDOIS is conducting its politics.

Frankly speaking, PDOIS was not legally existing during the transition
period. It is our tactics which made PDOIS to have some element of
continuity without acquiring legal status. During the coup period, we
literally had a no party state where only one political institution, the
AFPRC, was legally allowed to exist. It could conduct rallies and other
public meetings which no other political force could do. We managed to
remain active because of our strategies and tactics. How to conduct politics
under a no party state is fundamentally different from conducting politics
under a multiparty system. The strategies and tactics required are
fundamentally different. I hope you understand what I am trying to transmit.
I will be willing to explain any conduct which you deem as 'political
diplomacy' so that we will be able to share the strategic and tactical
objectives which were dictated by time and circumstances.

Greetings.

Halifa.