GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:09:51 +0100
L B Jammeh,

My reaction was based on your generalization in your posting of the 13.02.00 where you clearly stated that "It is about time Gambians and Africans change their attitude towards white people because they`re enemies and betrayers". I beg to differ, and you can be entitled to your opinion and I to mine, and God for us all. Now that you`re not refuting the fact that not "all" are bad or have good intentions for The Gambia and Africa there is no point in disagreeing further. One thing is for sure I would not "hang" all white folks for the wrongs that were committed before. Those of us who attended Gambia High School will never say that Mr Millard was an "enemy or a betrayer", and am sure there`re many white folks out there like him. Would you regard your Slovakian friend an "enemy or a betrayer"? Please Lamin the generalization has to go.

I concur with you regarding those who go to Africa and come back just to write malignant newspaper articles. I`ve reacted to a "Gambia-No problem " newspaper article written by some VG newspaper journalists here in Norway, and I`ll post what I got from the journalist to the L.

We all know the truth hurts especially when one doesn`t like what is being said. I would never dispute that there`re beggars around Senegambia Hotel, Cape Point Hotel or at the doorsteps of the supermarkets, and nor would I dispute the fact "some" and not "all" taxi drivers inflate fares. There`re still some very honest ones. If I should dispute all this then I might as well dispute that there are no junkies or drug addicts hanging out in the subway in Oslo

And taking books and pencils to The Gambia is a worthy endeavour brother. I bet you there`re still many kids in say Pakalinding, Damfai, Serrekunda or Banjul who treasure these "Little" gestures. So Lamin send some if you can.

Some correction, it was "African Youth" not "Gambian Youth" as you wrote.

Regards,
Omar