GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 03:17:02 EDT
I read the piece my brother Saul Bajo talked about the intellectuals with so
much interest. The getting on one "another's throat" as Uncle Jay might call
it was of interest. Bamba Lie, Tenn, Mambuna, Scattred and a lot more added
light to it which really made iteven more interesting. In fact it made me
agree with the gentleman who suggested to the L-managers to have a bank of
some pieces on the L- for future references.
Those of us who might not be intellectuals seems to blame them for not coming
to our rescue when we think we needed them the most. Yes, that might sound
selfish, but it is arguably human to be. It is always easier to blame someone
else for whatever. This is because we feel that we are in a situation(s)
where their services are needed. We agreed and kind of in denial that we need
them for we think that they could bring some new ideas and very valuable
skills towards development which we might not be able to get. The
construction of our envision Africa full of intellectuals with Africanise
ideas is just a fantasy.
When we talk of intellectuals, we measure them by not what they do or can do
for us, but by Western University standards using Western ideals. We tend to
forget that they are products of the Western curriculum and it does not
matter where they studied. They might have graduated from African
Universities, but their intelligence are typical foreign (Western) models.
Being an Intellectual in Africa and being an African Intellectual are two
different persons. An Intellectual who cannot relate him/herself to our
problems is a danger to the society and therefore those kinds are better off
staying outside. These are the ones whose background on African affairs are
rooted from what they are able to hear and read from books written by those
like them. And those books are also edited and published by the same Western
Institutions.
However, blaming these intellectuals for what they came into being
UN-intellectually unknowing, makes me feel guilty. Our societies have groomed
these people not to be accepted by us when they return. We view them as if
they are trying to impose their Western ideas on us and would not give them
the chance to give their opinions. Our governments are equally guilty of not
being able to create a flourishable atmosphere. They are seen as threats if
they disagree on principles and if they have different ideals, they are
viewed as reactionaries. Therefore, some of the good ones who feared not to
take a stand as true intellectuals end up imposing self exile.
Of course Africa needs all her people, but our leaders are not prepared to
accept that as a reality.
African intellectuals no doubt owes Africa a lot. Not only being side
commentators will suffice, but there has to be an audience receptive to new
ideas and not afraid of change. African governments has to improve their
relationship with her intellectuals on the bases of need and not wants. The
whole of Africa might have big lettered titles after our names, but until we
are ready to measure ourselves with the future and not the past, we are
doomed to fail. The past should just be a lesson for us to search for more
solutions to our problems.
All that we asks of our intellectuals is commitment. It is not going to be an
easy transition from a Western student to an African leader. they have to be
ready to experiment their ideals back home. Yes, it is true that a lot of
those who tried to experiment before never went okay, but I am sure they
would agree with me that there is no place like home. Yes, taking stands on
issues has always put a lot of us in trouble, but no intellectual should be
afraid of that. In fact that is what makes one an intellectual. I hope Ebrima
Ceesay puts that into consideration when he starts to work on his Directory.
If any one fails to take stand for whatever reasons, they are bound to be on
the wrong side of history.
I apologize if I bore anyone with my composition. I am trying to improve on
it.

Ousman Bojang.