GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:40:02 +0000
Karamba, thanks for this forward.  I hope Jammeh take note and realize to
importance of genuine national development.  This debt cancellation for
Ghana is like free money, which they can now use to support their
development plans, while we linger in the circle of paying interest with the
principal in tact.  The critics of this government do not control government
policies and pointing out government misguided policies has never stopped
this government from making yet, more ill conceived policies.  They may fool
Gambians, but the world is watching.  If you continue to mistake the moon
for the sun all the time, why don't you do something different?  Change your
position/location or explore other possibilities.  But no, not this
government.  This government has a mind-set problem and cannot understand
why anyone outside their small circle of similar minds should recommend
anything to them.  Listen to the comments of the APRC NAMs at their first
sitting.  To them, they are the majority in the house, therefore, all good
ideas has to come from them.  Halifa gets up to speak and they see it as a
lecture.  Others boldly grandstand Hamat to insinuate that his conscience is
with the APRC.  Better yet, the President openly saying that opposition is
not good for the country.  Does this sound like folks that want this country
go forward or see any value in anything outside their camp.  How can one
talk about national interest, yet still you looting our treasury.  Yaya is
wealthier than the state and he said it himself, that he and his descendants
will never want.  Just like the 1960s, the British relinquish control to
Ghana (1960) and The Gambia (1965), and by the 80s we were behind Ghana.
Now in the new millennium we started almost at par and they already have a
healthy lead with this debt extinguishment.  We can be excited about this
and that head of state thanking Jammeh for this and that, while we regress
as a nation.  We better wake up!

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou