GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"SS.Jawara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:17:03 +0200
Hi Modou:

I recently attended a conference in Stockholm with representatives from UN
and experts from various countries on the issue of CAPACITY BUILDING IN
AFRICA. This is the hottest issue at present at the UN.

You wrote:

"it is important that Gambian youth are convinced of the integrity of the
political system that controls their lives if they are to sincerely engage
in commercial activity with the conviction that it could mean the difference
between poverty and economic well being. Because they are citizens, who are
going to spend their lives in Gambia, they eschew a responsibility to the
society in general, and so cannot be expected to behave like hustlers who
see Gambia as a half-way-house to New York or Paris, and whose concerns are
purely mercenary. They need to know that as long as they are willing to work
hard, their political allegiance would have no impact whatsoever on their
rights to run a business as long as this is legitimate. Bluntly put,
government must see to it that even political opponents can start and run
successful businesses without fear of official interferance. "

Well, the building of local human and institutional capacities should in
fact occupy central position in all government sector. CAPACITY BUILDING
initiatives  should address four  major concerns: Improving conditions for
capacity development, shifting gradually from one activity of concerned to
another, relating trade activities/business assistance to local capacity
building, and enhancing capacity to manage various business activities
including import/export programmes.
It is also  important in capacity building to concentrate efforts towards
enhancing the government´s leadership role in economic management of all
sectors by improving policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation. Planning
, budgeting  and accountancy management should also need to be strenghtened
as a prerequisite for great accountability of local leadership. Banks and
financial institutions as you mentioned including local experts  should be
integrated into local efforts towards capacity building so that it
systematically  complements and augment in benefiting local societies. Local
government, the regional and district administrations, community based
organisations as well be included in the strenghtening efforts for the
purpose of promoting the society´s actual involvement and participation in
development at all levels, especially on trade.
I think this is the most effective way government can enhance in shifting
towards to better socio-economic changes in a more dynamic manner.

You wrote here:

  Secondly, there must be a sincere and visible return to the old slogans of
ATP : ACCOUNTABILITY, TRANSPARENCY, AND PROBITY. The mere sight of
millionaire leaders ruling a multitude of poor and tired citizens reeks of a
society engrossed with inequality. If it is legitimately suspected that the
quickest way to wealth and influence and pomp is to become a minister, why
on earth should all the poor not want to become one? People in power must
not just declare their wealth; the source of such wealth must be transparent
to every Kanjura, Kekoi, and Keluntang.

Well Mr. Sidibeh, there is nowhere on the face of the earth where corruption
has totally been eradicated. Nevertheless, it is very important for
government  to take the right leading role in the fight for reducing it and
to try to dicourage the act. I know that there is a growing perception  of
increase in curruption in all government sectors. I have had my personal
experiences  during my  trip to the Gambia last year.
It would be wise for government to set up a special commission to look into
incidence of corruption. Something must be done about it in order to
maintain government´s  credibility and authority in the eyes of it´s
citizenry and of the tax payers. Leading the way to decrease corruption  is
the right direction towards  accountability and transparency which would
lead to a reliable and democratic  socio-economic programmes for the country
now, and in the future.

Thanks for sharing!

SS.Jawara
Sweden,Stockholm.

perhaps the passages you quoted would have sounded very well if not for this
serious flaw:

"Because they are citizens, who are going to spend their lives in Gambia,
they eschew a responsibility to the society in general, and so cannot be
expected to behave like hustlers who see Gambia as a half-way-house to New
York or Paris, and whose concerns are purely mercenary. .......".  It should
have read:

"Because they are citizens, who are going to spend their lives in Gambia,
they do not eschew a responsibility........."

Sidibeh