GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:49:07 EST
My Fellow G List Members,
      As elections 2001 draws closer, I am suggesting that we
begin to look in ways that we can contribute as a group. Participating
in the selection of our leaders is not just a moral responsibility but a
constitutional one.
      I have lived outside the Gambia for many years now and shameless to say,
"never had the opportunity to vote."  We should now form a movement to
register
every Gambian regardless of demographics to vote in this coming elections.
       During my short tenure in Eastern Connecticut, I was among a Group of
Senegalese nationals. Although we stayed in a remote college town, these
group of patriotic Senegalese were able to mobilize all of there people to
perform and
exercise their right to vote. They did this through chat rooms, publications,
aggressive door to door meetings, involvement of various Government entities,
websites and good old fashion
"word of mouth."
        Today as they get ready to vote for the second time since my
associations with them, they have helped to create a culture of Senegalese in
Diaspora who have demonstrated that they are not only matured in the excise
of their constitutional rights but have the ability to help steer a global
media to serve as watch dogs for the smooth
transition. (Although the results are yet to be measured)
         We have posted thousands of emails to this list. If all the postings
were
executed in a day I belief this list would shutdown (laugh).. My suggestion
is that we
start a list of volunteers Globally to begin initiating this process. For
those of you on the list that have experience in this kind of work should
lead the process. We must register
all Gambian nationals that are of voting age and with the help of the
electoral college
identify designated voting venues.
          The process has to be nonpartisan. If you truly belief that the
future of the Gambia is in our hands, we should start now because this kind
of work requires time. We must also try to put our differences aside and
realize that this is not a popularity
contest but a call for a democratic process.
          In conclusion, I want to say that conflict arises whenever
interests collide. We must really try to work on instruments of making this
process work. I say this because
many Gambians have the attitude that they don't want to get involve because
they do
not want to become "part of a dysfunctional force that can be attributed to
some regrettable circumstance or cause" I am willing to render my minute time
for the interest of some Gambians to vote.
          Please give this some considerations.
 Awaiting your comments.
Best wishes From.
Matarr  Sajaw