GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:43:31 +0000
From the Jammeh website.

Posted by bailow on July 18, 2001 at 18:16:26:

Seven years after the so-called revolution, the government can still not
answer our priority needs. Gambians are still the porrest of the world's
poor. Infant mortality rate has risen, the dalasi is at an all time low and
our democracy is rickety. We have little to show for the revolution we were
all so optimistic about. The APRC's handling of the economy is disastrous as
Gambians starve under the weight of overtaxation. We are simply at our wits
end. We have all ran out of ideas as we hurl invectives and mudsling each
other. Check the allegations and counter allegation criss-crossing the
political spectrum from Juwara FJC and others. It is all a sordid reality.
No wonder youths are only interested in going away despite the president's
criticisms. Well he can afford to say that since his is now a life hugely
different from that poor and unkempt lieutenant he was some seven years ago.
How time flies. Thus as we celebrate there are more questions to ask of
ourselves than answers. Ask any including Jammeh to attempt answers and the
words get stuck in their mouths. There is simply nothing to say other than
to own up to the mistake of staging so costly a revolution that makes life
even worse than how were were under Jawara.
Bye
Bailo

Salieu Gaye's response:

Posted by Salieu Gaye on July 19, 2001 at 10:14:25:
at 18:16:26:

Bailo,

If you care to know anything, the revolution has brought in hope for the
poverty-ridden mejority of the Gambian people. This Government has done
pratical things to solve the colossal problems it inherited from the PPP
regime.

If you care about infant mortality, maybe you would give credit to the
regime that builds hospitals - Farrafeni, Bwiam and soon Serrekunda.

If you care about the state of the dalasis then you would give thanks to the
regime that is trying to improve our exports by opening the free gateway
project at the Banjul port, where our local products will be processed
before being exported, so that we depend less on imported products and more
on goods produced locally.

If you care about our democracy, you will salute the regime that has
licenced more private newspapers and radio stations that we have ever seen
in this country.

If you care about our youths leaving home for the West, you will commend the
government that has established the University of the Gambia and the
National Youth Service Scheme and so many skill centers up and down the
country.

Added to this I can give you countless more achievements of this government
in the areas of Agriculture, Communications, Energy etc.

For all these great achievements we have all the reason to celebrate as the
Gambia is indeed a better place now than it was seven years ago and things
will only get better as the solide foundations have been put in place by
this APRC regime not the useless PPP.

If you can't realise this then you must be living in cloud-kokoland.

Have a nice day!

Kebba Jobe (Gassa) adds:

Posted by Kebba Jobe on July 19, 2001 at 12:32:51:
19, 2001 at 10:14:25:

Thank you salieu Gaye for making such a brilliant case for the government.
Bailo, you have to realise that development is a continuous process. It is
not an event that just happens. People have to work for it. Europe and
America did not just develop over night. It takes a clear vission and very
hard work. This government clearly has a vission for the country and it is
now up to all of us to join hands and move the country forward. No
development can take place without a healthy, enlightened and educated
workforce. This, the government fully realises, and is pursueing them
vigorously. Imagine the government is giving out 150 scholarships to worthy
students to study for degree programmes in the Gambia and the president
promises to give scholarships to as many as 200 others. This excludes those
pursueing other courses outside the country. Can you imagine if this
government had inherited all the infrasture it is now building, how Gambia
would have looked like? Can you imagine where Gambia would have been today
if we had been producing atleast 200 hundred graduates a year from 1981,
when most of the donor money received after the failed 1981 coupe was
squandered? Please lets give credit when it is due. The constant grumbling
will only take us backwards.

Have a good day and bye 4now, Gassa.

Quote of the week.

Explaining his views about those who blame our woes on the West, colonialism
and neocolonialism, Mr. Anslem Emanolom of New Jeshwang writes:

"I know one thing: Only the house rat can tell the one in the bush about the
cake in the oven. Only the house rat can lead the bush rat into the kitchen
where the fish is. When you treat your clothes like rags, others will use it
to clean the floor"

Have a good day, Gassa.