GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 10:08:06 EDT
This is indeed good news. Keep the pressure mounting. Your strong
condemnation of this draconian piece of trash is bearing fruit. GTU however
did not take full advantage of the opportunity you gave them and declare in
no uncertain terms that they disown some of the provisions you highlighted
in your letter. What I read from their reply was a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts'
and sitting on the fence. For example, they said: 'If the Code is aimed at
that, then it is unfortunate and we as teachers would have shied away from
our professional responsibilities.' Some of the provisions are clearly aimed
at making school life unbearable for our children. There are no 'ifs' about
that. In any case, am glad that they at least had the courtesy to respond
and also disassociated themselves from drafting of these oppressive codes.
What all of them (those present at the meeting and doing the drafting and
those present at the meeting and staring at the ceiling while our children's
future is being mortgaged to the devil) should realize is that, drafting the
code is one thing; making it stick is another ball game. Let them know that
we will challenge this in court and use other means at our disposal to make
sure that none of the parents (including themselves, who have kids in the
educational system) are made party to this fraud. They should not force or
deceive parents into signing this piece of trash. Keep up the good work.