GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Moses Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:22:43 EST
Mr Colley,
   The article about Jammeh's Power Base almost drove me to tears. If the
information about the soldiers is accurate, I think Gambians must demand
answers.
  keep up with the fight to bring closure for the families of the soldiers.
It must be very difficult having been through what you have to carry on.
Peace must be preserved at all cost.  A soldier as articulated as you are, I
sincerely believe if 90 percent of the GNA share the same passion for peace
and respect for humanity then we have a great future.
    You offered some suggestions to the Gambian community on how to solve
this problem. Do you passionately believe that if a mass uprising was to
erupt in the Gambia, the Jammeh Government will not hesitate to bomb,
gundown, burn, and or execute the protestors?
     Sometimes people are forced to remain silent because of fear of
retribution. Some of us are willing to make more personal sacrifice that most
of us. If indeed these crimes and the many other atrocities that the Jammeh
government has been accused of hold water, then we should as a community of
"conscious Gambians" form a viable political body to change the face of our
country.
     We must start today by putting our ideals into practice and our voices
into actions. The Gambia deserves fine leadership and long-lasting
prosperity. If the electoral college is in disarray due to corruption then we
must find a way to fix it. The upcoming elections offer lots of possibilities
for the Gambia. If we have to change the fabric of our society we should try
to seize power by any means necessary. Without politics we cannot obtain the
power to change the course of our country.
     Change is not always a welcoming process. The life of every Gambian
citizen should be held sacred and protected.  Keep fighting for the soldiers.

Thank you.
Matarr.