GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:37:23 GMT
Bamba Lye,

You've honed on to the gist of our dilemma here. You know this Yaya Jammeh
reminds me of that Abdallah Bakharam? guy who was elected president of
Equador a few years ago. On the day he was elected, he went playing football
with some boys. People thought he was just being down to earth. But when he
was inaugurated president, the demon in him came out. He started saying
really outrageous things, not to talk about his behavior. So, before he
could do much damage to Equador, the parliament acted, and immediately
removed him from the presidency! This was just two/three years ago. And
Equador is similar to the Gambia in many ways: high illiteracy, low human
PPI, etc.

But the major difference is that in Equador, they do have HONORABLE members
of parliament who put aside their personal and party interests to work for
the nation's interests. Unfortunately in our case, we have the Tamsir
Jallows, and Tombong Jattas whose only interest is to wake up every day,
jump in some expensive car paid for by the Gambian public, and go chase
after little girls all over Banjul and Serrekunda. They don't give a damn if
Yaya Jammeh tramples upon dead Gambians daily. If this isn't an outrage, I
don't know what is.

As counter-intuitive as it may sound, I sometimes have this weird notion
that Yaya is as much a hostage of these people, as Gambians are of Yaya.
Why? Because Yaya's mental faculties are -to be quite blunt, somewhere
between that of an eight and a twelve year old. (If you doubt this, you
should find and watch the video where he's telling some Senegalese reporter
what he likes to do to a big sheep at 2am in the morning. You'll never be
more ashamed to be Gambian. Talk about a  national humiliation!) So, some of
the people around him who are a lot smarter than him, are using him to get
what they want. As long as he lets them do what they want as MPs (I'm
talking about extra-legislative activities,) then they'll keep egging him
on.

I literally hated the PPP regime for what they were doing to our country,
but I didn't bargain for anything like Yaya. This guy makes the PPP look
like some princes in shining armor. Even if we kick this person out, we'll
remain the laughing stock of all sane countries for a long time to come -
thanks to him, and those propping him up. Trying to reason with him is like
salmon hitting its head against a dam. Only we are the salmon here...

Saul.