GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:47:43 -0400
                   Our hearts bled the whole of Monday evening and continue
                   bleed even now as we visualise, after we were told the
picture at
                   the morgue of the bodies laid there, with their little
faces covered,
                   their school socks and shoes on.

 And now their colleagues and parents are being told that they are
responsible for what happened; that they will be dealt with, I guess, when
the "death squad leader" gets back?.  We cannot allow the psychological
warfare being waged against these students and their parents to succeed;
That would be another tragedy.

I spoke to a parent whose child demonstrated. He started our conversation
with a quote - "if you want to catch a cow and it is a little dark, take the
cow by the horns."  (I'm sure I've lost the impact of the statement in
translation, I apologize).  He went on to say that he blames the army for
taking the kinds of orders which led to what the country has seen the last
few days.  He fully supports the students and that it's just a matter of
time.  I fervently hope that his sentiments reflects those of the majority
of people in the country and that no one falls for the hogwash being given
by the mouthpieces of this rogue regime.

Which print media will print, for the rest of the Gambia to read, the kind
of support the students have in their quest for justice; which radio station
will air our voices; which TV station will show us demonstrating our disgust
of this murderous regime?  But we will demonstrate, write, and speak for as
long (short) as it takes to give these goons their just dessert.

Soffie