GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:58:00 GMT
I cannot follow coherently most of the comments made in this Sandhurst
scholarship debate, and especially the case presented by Mr. Kondeh.  I
would just like to comment on some few things.
This issue is not about that Lt Mendy or any GNA personality but a political
issue that has intrinsic relevance to the relations of the two
peoples-Gambia/UK. I believe this recent British policy is totally
insensitive to the socio-economic realities of the Gambia;somewhat unethical
in that the British government ignored all other vital alternatives,
subordinated cogent principles of liberty, human rights and decency that are
constantly violated by the Gambia Army as an instrument of a repressive
government.  Again the character of Lt Mendy is not the issue here, but the
consequences of British "good intentions" that are more likely to be
corrupted by an ill meaning government.
After all a Sandhurst training has very little effect in an officer's
career.  The training is an induction program for British high school boys
in basic military drills- marching, saluting, bearing,war history and basic
field craft, etc- you can describe it as a basic recruit training.  Even
after graduation, they have to be trained in leadership skills at another
school (Platoon Commander's Course) to be professionally competent to lead a
platoon of about 24 men.
I know that Great Britain have earn the "Perfidious Albion" title in
diplomatic history, yet I am still to comprehend this ill advised and
controversial move in this era of universal morality and human rights.

Ebou Jallow