GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M.B.Krubally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:35:54 -0700
Yus, come clean and tell us the real reason. I suspect you are planning on watching lots of soccer the next two months. Bro your contributions will be missed. I hope I will be able to persuade you to continue your good and uplifting contributions. I hope you feel different after the games. Keep in touch.
Momodou Billo Krubally

  "Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Hi everyone:
I just received permission to re-subscribe to the Gambia-L list. After the
'ordeal' of last week, I feel as if I've been to hell and back. I have never
been used to being muzzled; not since I left home at the age of 18 anyway.

My one week absence from this list has made me realize that there is a divide
between some older Gambians who think times don't change and that expressing
one's ideas strongly or belligerently is rude and 'un-Gambian.'

I even read an email where one of our moralizers questioned our upbringing
because of what transpired on this list. These statements IMO, should not be
expected from truly conscious folks because we all know no one is perfect in
this life. We all make mistakes. This makes the attempt to cast an ill-light
on some folks because of behavioral failings all the more baffling. Are we
not a society that is forgiving? Don't people use 'Jankading'' in the
Bantaba without being cast out like lepers, or having their upbringing
questioned!

On the other hand, I totally believe that with the changes that time brings,
the youth of the country will become more aggressive about what they want and
their feelings. Cultural norms cannot remain in a state of paralysis, yet
some on this list seem to think that this is the case and that anyone who
deviates from what they deem as correct behavior should be treated like an
outcast. But obviously folks like myself and others are simply a bit too
aggressive for the peaceful and non-confrontational nature of some moralizers
who think their virtues should be emulated by the youth, the same
'laissez-faire' attitude which brought us Yahya Jammeh.

Therefore, while I will remain a subscriber to this List, this shall be my
last posting ever here.

I wish you all the best in all your endeavors, and to the many I have clashed
heads with over the years and consequently insulted harshly, as a human
being who has many flaws - I ask for your forgiveness.

Regards,
Yusupha