GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:02:18 -0000
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below was the mail I tried to send yesterday, but it was rejected
by the List Server.

Pa Modou: I am glad that you have NOW "come out" as the right
winger/political editor of The SUN Newspaper Trevor Kavanagh would often say
whenever a celebrity here reveals that he is GAY!

So, my brother, expect a fitting reply from me by tommorow (Monday) when my
home Computer would have been repaired.

Momodou Camara: Thanks for the help!

Ebrima

Pa Modou Gassama aka Kebba Jobe:

Mr Gassama, frankly speaking, you cannot distort the facts of history. They
are inviolable. And semantics will not save you either.

Your scholarship - whether EEC or ODA funded - was obtained through the
Gambia Government/Gamtel, period. This is a fact and you cannot change it.
In fact, if I were to forward the e-mails I have got on you, people will be
shocked to discover your true colours.

You are lying to say that I have an "Uncle" who worked for GTTI.  The truth
is that one of my Brothers is the Head of GTTI, and I am immensely proud of
his achievements in life.

You are LYING to write that my (Uncle) Brother in anyway arranged for me to
be employed or apprenticed at GTTI. I have never worked at GTTI in my life.

The facts are that I was a (pioneer) student on a 3 year programme at GTTI
in January 1983 when GTTI was first opened. For this programme, I received
no scholarships from anyone or from any organisation.

You are right that you once taught me:  you taught me Mathematics in Form 1,
in 1979 for two terms, before you left the school.

You are LYING when you impute that you "tutored me privately".  I was a
Latrikunda school student and you were on of the staff group at the school,
doing the job for which the government paid you.  In this regard, you did
teach me "for free" - along with every other student at Latrikunda who had
teaching contact with you!

There was never a single moment that you gave me "private" tuition for free
or for payment - that is entirely in your imagination.

In my postings to you on the question of your identity, I have not slandered
either you or members of your family.  I have not told untruths about you.
You may care to read back through my postings on the Gambia-L and confirm
these points.  The issues which I have raised with you are related to your
assumed identity as Kebba Jobe, a figure who openly supports the Jammeh
regime.   I make no apologies at all for taking you to task on this.

I object when contributors to the Gambia-L like yourself attempt to bring my
family into any sort of disrepute, or to imply that my family is in any way
answerable for my own views or actions.  The views I
express in public are my own - they do not belong to anyone else.  Members
of my family have worked incredibly hard over the years to fulfil their
potential and to make useful contributions to society: I
am proud of them all.

I really do not feel under any obligation to "reward" you for having taught
me mathematics for two terms when I was a thirteen year old boy.

My intellectual and professional development has not been dependent on your
input into my education or chosen career path, nor has it been funded by
government or private sponsorship.  Like so many Gambians, I have struggled
to educate myself and it has been the tutelage and support of people of
Kenneth Best's or late Professor John Wiseman's calibre which has been most
influential in my life to date.

Since you paraded your academic credentials here and implied that I was a
nonetity. Well, my academic credentials are also matters of public record. I
have just completed a 50,000 word (Master of Philosophy) MPhil Research
Degree (Mode A) at the University of Birmingham (within the space of one
year). I was ONLY required to write a thesis of 40, 000 word. And my
exceptional performance means that I begin year two (not year One) of my
Ph.D in November 2001.

In my chosen career as a Journalist, I have been fortunate enough to
undertake training courses or attend conferences abroad: these have been
funded by the organisations (such as the BBC) or the country (such as the
USA) themselves.  I have received not one butut from The Gambia to enable me
to continue my professional development.

I trust that this sets the record straight for readers of the Gambia L who
may have been misled by your posting.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK