GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 09:58:57 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 23:03:44 -0700
From: Carol D. McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] Fw: [women-csd] Women's Dialogue Paper

FYI
-----
Subject: [women-csd] Women's Dialogue Paper

> [...]
use
> of natural common resources. Privatization has deprived women of essential
> services formerly provided by the state. Thus women bear the impact on
> multiple levels-juggling more work and household tasks with less income
and
> less access to land. Women's economic inequity is further exacerbated by
the
> failure of international institutions to formulate and evaluate financial
> and trade policies from a gender perspective, and the failure of
governments
> to address working conditions in the informal sector, and wage inequities
in
> the formal sector, or to integrate women's unpaid work into national
> accounting systems.
>

> 5.      Women's Recommendations:
>
> (a)    Replace the neo-liberal paradigm governing the global economy with
> sustainable, gender-sensitive, and environmentally sound development
> framework that addresses the needs of people and the planet in equal
measure
> to economic concerns;
> (b)   Governments must aim to halve by 2015, the number of the world's
> people living on less than one dollar a day, the majority of whom are
women
> and children, in keeping with the UN Millennium Goals;
> (c)    The World Bank, International Monetary Fund and World Trade
> Organization-working under the auspices of the United Nations and
monitored
> by a UN established external gender-monitoring group involving civil
> society-must set goals and timetables for increasing the number of women
in
> decision-making positions to at least 30 percent, and mainstream gender
> perspectives in all institutional programs, policies and operations;
> (d)   Guarantee UN conference outcomes are not compromised in the process
of
> building greater coherence with the international finance and trade
> institutions;
> (e)    Ensure international trade and investment policies are transparent
> and that mechanisms are established for participation of the most
vulnerable
> stakeholders;
> (f)     Establish a UN Convention on Corporate Accountability, and
reinstate
> the UN Centre on Transnational Corporations with a broader mandate and the
> necessary resources to monitor and address violations by corporate
entities;
> (g)    Governments should adopt gender budgets at the national level.
>
> C. Access and Control of Resources
> 6.      The earth's biological diversity is threatened by the irreversible
> destruction of natural habitats and endangerment of animal and plant
species
> due to production and consumption patterns driven by market forces.
Women's
> [...]
> polluting or depleting the environment and its natural resources and
> biodiversity;
> (c)    All governments and national and international agencies must
promote
> gender mainstreaming and ensure gender balance in decision-making, based
on
> gender disaggregated data, in all environment and sustainable development
> related policies and programs;
> (d)   The WTO must undertake a gender and social impact assessment of
> existing and new international intellectual property rights regimes and
> instruments, including TRIPS;
> (e)    Apply the precautionary principle of bio-safety and social justice
> all genetic modification, and take steps to halt all patenting of
biological
> resources, processes and knowledge, and to condemn the so-called
"terminator
> technology."
> (f)     Implement CEDAW provisions, including the adoption of gender
> equality legislation that guarantees women's equal rights to own, manage,
> inherit and control land, and to access credit and appropriate technology.
> (g)    Phase out the production and use of nuclear energy and toxic
> substances while developing and expanding the use of safe alternatives,
> including renewable, solar and other clean energy sources, in cooperation
> with the scientific community.
>
> D. Environmental Security and Health
> 8.      Worldwide environmental security of rural and urban communities is
> at risk, and people-especially those living in poverty-are exposed to
toxic
> substances and radiation, lack clean, safe water and sanitation, or live
in
> disaster prone areas. Global climate change contributes to these dangerous
> situations. Women and men have different susceptibilities to various
> environmental hazards, but women are further challenged by unequal
> opportunities to protect and promote their health. Women's human rights
and
> economic security are unattainable without accessible and affordable basic
> health and reproductive health services.
>

> 9.      Women's Recommendations
>
> (a)    Include gender-disaggregated data and report on women's health
risks
> related to the environment in monitoring implementation of Agenda 21;
> (b)   Increase access to sexual and reproductive health care for all
> individuals of appropriate ages by 2015 through the primary health care
> system;
> (c)    Implement the Millennium Goal to reduce maternal and child
mortality
> by 2015;
> (d)   Governments should aim to halve by 2015, the proportion of people
with
> no access to safe drinking water as recommended in the UN Millennium
Goals;
> [...]
> the future of all generations. Women's education is key to the promotion
of
> poverty eradication and sustainable development but women and girls
comprise
> the majority (65%) of the world's non-literate.
>

> 13.  Women's Recommendations:
>
> (a)    Implement programs to achieve full literacy for all, ensuring that
> rural and urban people, especially the poor, benefit from education
relevant
> to their needs;
> (b)   Promote gender sensitive education for sustainability at all
> educational levels and ensure that sustainable development is integrated
in
> all curricula;
> (c)    Integrate and protect women's traditional and indigenous knowledge
in
> education, policy and decision-making processes;
> (d)   Use and promote gender-disaggregated instruments such as gender
impact
> analysis, gender budgeting, data and indicators;
> (e)    Governments must seek to narrow the gender gap in primary and
> secondary education by 2005 and to ensure that, by 2015, all children
> complete a full course of primary education, as recommended by the UN
> Millennium Goals.
>
> G. Partnerships for Sustainable Development
> 14.  Partnerships between governments, institutions and civil society
should
> be built on principles of respect for human rights, transparency and
> accountability, inclusiveness, equal participation, and gender balance and
> equality and include genuine consultation and dialogue as well as policies
> and actions that support local communities and improve ecosystems. Many
> partnerships already exist among women's organizations worldwide including
> partnerships on peace, governance, environmental security, and economic
> justice.
>

> 15.  Women's Recommendations:
>
> (a)    Develop a clear and enforceable Partnership Code of Conduct
including
> a gender audit, that has an inbuilt system of monitoring and assessing
> inputs, results, impacts and benefits;
> (b)   Provide financial and other capacity-building resources to enable
true
> participation and equal partnerships.
>

> Rebecca Pearl
> Sustainable Development Program Associate
> Women's Environment and Development Organization (WEDO)
> 355 Lexington Avenue, 3rd floor, New York, NY 10017 USA
> Phone: 212-973-0325 x210  Fax: 212-973-0335
> www.wedo.org
>

>   _____
>
> * Prepared by the Women's Environment and Development Organization.  The
> views and opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of the
> United Nations.

> This is a listserver set up by the CSD Women's Caucus, a global group of
women and men working on gender & sustainable development issues. It has
been established to circulate information in preparation for  the UN
Commission on Sustainable Development Sessions and Earth Summit 2002
(officially the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Johannesburg, South
Africa, Sept. 2002).
> To learn more about the CSD Women's Caucus activities, check the web-site
at www.earthsummit2002.org/wcaucus/csdngo.htm.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DlIU9C/4m7CAA/Ey.GAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, May 29, 2002. Location: Douglas Truth Library, 2300 E Yesler Way, Seattle
7:00 PM WASAN business meeting
7:30 PM PROGRAM: Good Read.  A free event.

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network