GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:31:25 EST
frankly there is too much of knee jerk grapevine chit chats, deep throatism,
rumour juggling and anti Jammehism by faceless wonders on this list. it is
getting down to the point where objectivity is losing ground to a subjective
onslaught which is looking as biased as Jammeh is no doubt an authoritarian
populist.
if the likes of Ndey Jobarteh are really democrats they have to about as much
brandish their cloaks of objectivity as much as they continually
 deluge us with sentimental piffle about keeping some self conjured idiom
that they brand as "the struggle continues" which in reality is some poor
display intellectual pomp and ballistic.
if we are gonna change the political landscape of Africa in the next
millenium, then we have to be above this personality spats and endless
unnecessary and biased bickering. of course Jammeh arguably has uglier
democratic credentials than Jawara and a more dastard violation of human
rights. but how we counter this retrogressive and reactionary regime is
something that has to be handled with maturity, facts, and objectivity. by
this i mean the least you could do is to live up to the democratic canon of
giving credit where due and throw as much bucket load as the situation and
issue warrants. can we be civic about this and drop the knee jerk smears and
unfounded deep throatism.
Hamjatta Kanteh