GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:48:34 EST
Tombong,

For your information, l have nothing against Krispin Johnson, nor do l even
know him personally. What l have done, both here and before, was to expose
some injustices carried out against Gambians, and as the record continues to
show, this trend has escalated. It is true that he terminated the services of
someone who worked at the embassy some 10 years without just cause, and not a
thing was done about it. This said individual was the one that showed you the
ropes when you yourself were first appointed to take over in Washington, and
had not a clue as to how to even begin to do your job , and l know you cannot
deny that. When she was unjustly terminated, she appealed to you to deliver
her petition to the President, and you played hide and seek with her until
she gave up.But let us get one thing straight, this is not about that issue
at all, but about the fact that l and many others have had enough of all the
abuse and injustice that this government continues to heap on Gambians, and
we are not going to accept it anymore.
On the issue of the seizure of this family's passports, the family in
question has told me that they do not want to come forward because they are
afraid that their relatives in Gambia will be targeted by the Jammeh
government, and l am not at all surprised that they have come to this
conclusion. However, since the embassy as well as ambassador Johnson are well
aware of this individual l speak of, as well as all those whose passports
were seized,then why not ask him if your intention is to really rectify this
situation?All they have to do is consult their list.
 l know you sent me a private email because you wanted to settle this
embarassment behind closed doors before the whole World finds out once more
what you guys are up to. It is only now that l have brought this into the
open that you are grasping at straws to try to discredit me.Again, l repeat,
this is not a personal matter to be settled behind closed doors, but an issue
that concerns all Gambians, and this is why l posted it to the list. If you
feel that this is a personal attack l am launching, why did you not mention
this in your private email to me, and then additionally tell me that you will
not respond to it because it is a personal attack?.You also say that some
select members of this list accepted my statements without verifying if it is
true. My question to you is, why did you not follow your own advice on this,
instead of offering to follow it through, and alleging that some individauls
have acted on their own in some instances?Remember, you alluded  in the email
that some people in this administration have done things that are not a
policy of this administration, but that it was done to ingratiate themselves
to the President. If this was not true, why did you say it? Instead of
wasting time grasping at straws to come up with some cheap allegations
against my motives, let us address the real problem here. If the government
says that this is not their policy, then let them issue a press release for
you to read on GRTS, as well as send it to the various newspapers and radio
stations throughout the country telling the people that this is not their
policy, and that they do not have a list of Gambians they are targeting as
enemies of the State. Period. Let them also check with their various
embassies to get a list of the individuals whose passports have been seized,
and rectify the situation. This is very simple. All these cheap allegations
you are focussing on are just a way to avoid the real issue, and you are only
doing them now to save face since l have decided to go public with your
secret email.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 10/31/99 6:20:02 AM Central Standard Time,