GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamila Allston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:07:50 -0700
Following is the Statement of MDRG following Friday's UN Demonstration.
This document is attached (Word Document) for retrieval & distribution.
A copy of the hard text appears below for those who may have difficulty
retrieveing this information.

MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION
OF DEMOCRACY IN THE GAMBIA

                        September 9, 2000

To:  The Gambian People, Concerned Friends Of The Gambia, US &
International Representatives, Pan African-Activists, Human Rights and
Constitutional Rights Activists, Religious Leaders, UN Secretary
General, The Humanitarian Community and All Other Agencies,
Organizations & NGOs Concerned With Issues Hampering The Progressive
Development Of Africa

RE:  STATEMENT OF THE MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION OF DEMOCRACY IN THE
GAMBIA FOLLOWING THE MOBILIZATION/DEMONSTRATION RALLY AT THE GAMBIAN
MISSION AND THE UN, FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 8, 2000

THE MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION FOR DEMOCRACY IN THE GAMBIA mobilized
Gambians, Africans from the Continent and Diaspora and Concerned
Friends of The Gambia in a Resounding Demonstration To Protest Gambian
President Yaya Jammeh's Address Before the Millennium Summit of the
General Assembly of the United Nations, and To Demand The End Of The
Gambian Government's Flagrant Violations Of Fundamental Constitutional
And Human Rights.

THE MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION FOR DEMOCRACY IN THE GAMBIA Continues
To Demand the Following:

¨ Unconditional Guarantee of Fundamental Human Rights and
Constitutional Rights Throughout The Gambia; the Rights to Freedom of
Speech, Expression, Thought, Conscience, Belief and Assembly Shall Be
Recognized;

¨ Immediate Cessation of the Campaign of Violence, Oppression,
Brutality and Murder of Dissenting Gambians;

¨ Immediate End to The "Cover Up" Practice of Protecting Government
Officials, Military Personnel and Supporters of the Present Government
From Persecution For Acts of Violence, Rape, Brutality and Murder
Against Gambians;

¨ Immediate End to The Policy of Arbitrary Arrest and Detention of
Dissenting Civilians, Journalists and Opposition Party Leaders and
their Followers;

¨ Immediate End To The Campaign of Harassment and Violence In An
Attempt to Maintain Journalistic Control of Information Regarding
Continuing Atrocities In The Gambia;

¨ Immediate Cessation of Attempts to Modify Constitutional Election
Procedures In Order To Maintain Control Of The Upcoming Parliamentary
and Presidential Elections; and

¨ Unconditional Guarantee that The Present Government Will Cease All
Attempts to Thwart The Gambian Peoples Demand For Free and Fair
Elections in the Upcoming Parliamentary and Presidential Elections.

 In addition, THE MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION FOR DEMOCRACY IN THE
GAMBIA is Extremely Concerned Regarding Present Government Policies and
Practices Pertaining To The Following Issues:

1) Business and Land Acquisitions By Outside Governments;

2) White Washing The Gambia To Satisfy European Tourist Interests; and

3) Deceptive Manipulation of International Diplomatic and Religious
Relationships To Promote Agendas Which Negatively Impact the Citizens
of The Gambia

In this stead, THE MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION FOR DEMOCRACY IN THE
GAMBIA Further Demands An End To The:

¨ Minimization of The Gambian People To Obtain Support For The
Continued Abuse of Selective Groups of Gambians Based on Ethnicity,
Class, Social Standing and Religion;

¨ Manipulation of World Leaders In Obtaining Financial, Military and
Medical Support That Foster Governmental Programs of Selective
Inclusion, and Instituting An Increasingly Overt Campaign of Terror and
Harassment Upon The Gambian People; and

¨ Parceling/Privatization of Gambian Land and Businesses to Outside
Governments Without Regard or Concern for the Grave Implications These
Transactions Will Have on the Long Term Economic Stability of The
Gambia

As Gambians, Whether We Are Residing Abroad Or At Home In The Gambia,
We Have The Right To Fight For Our Homeland. . . For The Quality Of
Life For Our People In The Gambia. . . . And For The Future Of Africa.
We Implore Gambians World Wide To Never Give Up In This Protracted
Struggle To Put An End To The Corrupt And Destructive Government Reigm
of President Yaya Jammeh.

To Our Gambian Brothers and Sisters At Home In The Gambia, As You
Continue Your Fight, Remember That You Are Not Alone In This Struggle.
Gambians Throughout The World United With Other Africans From The
Continent and The Diaspora, Are Fighting With You To Get The Message
Out And To Bring About Proactive Change In The Gambia.

Things Will Change In The Gambia!  We Are Determined That Never Again
Will Our People Be Victimized!