GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Cisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:48:10 +0000
Jaajef Madiba and Angelika,

I don't believe that a malaria vaccine is a new
development. In 1985 I went to Colombia
(S.America) and was told that they had a malaria
vaccine which was in widespread use, especially
by the army. To be quite honest at the time I was
rather sceptical as I thought that if there was it
would be known about in West Africa. About a year
or so ago I heard a radio programme on the radio
about this same vaccine (BBC). Apparently the
vaccine had been discovered and developed by a
Colombian. I can't recall all the details, but, if my
memory serves me well he had great problems in
getting it accepted outside of Colombia as he
wasn't within the accepted medical; establishment
(or something like that). In fact after years of him
pushing the vaccine was given a trial in the Gambia
via MRC, but it was rejected as ineffective. In the
programme this was examined further and it was
suggested that the trial was flawed as it was done
on young children who were breastfeeding,
apparently breastfeeding children have some sort
of immunity/resistance to malaria through their
mothers milk, and therefore the results were
inconclusive. The Colombian developer of the
vaccine apparently faced a whole range of
problems (including possible conspiracy) from the
medical establishment, partly due to the fact that he
wanted it widely available rather than profit
orientated...

Unfortunately I do not have the dates of the Gambia
trial, nor the name of the vaccine or the
developer...but others may wish to track down
further information on this. I will also try to surf the
web for more info. when I have time...

Hope this is useful

Yeenduleen ak jaama

Tony

>>> "A.Prox"
1/December/1999 10:50pm >>>
Dear Madiba Saidy,

a vaccine against Malaria would be wonderful.

I collected a lot of information on the topic of
Malaria. Could you please
mail which company or organisation is behind that
vaccine.

Thank you
Angelika Prox Dampha

postings, go to the Gambia-L