GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salam Sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:36:34 EST
   With all due respect Yus, I believe you are overreacting about the use of
the word 'nigger' by Saul. Saul rightfully explains that the word describes a
state of mind and unfortunately the word also aptly describes some black
people. Niggers do exist! Even though I disagree with Saul's naive contention
that black Americans can all be grouped in three categories, I still share
his view on condescending Americans.
    Saul, don't let your bad experiences with some black Americans prejudice
your perception of all of them. The fact that some black Americans dislike
Africans does not make these Americans any different from any other
demographic sample in this country. Xenophobia is not unique to Black America
or America in general. As long as we are in these United States, we just have
to deal with ignorant people whether black or white. We continue to succeed
not because of the opportunities afforded us but in spite of the obstacles
facing us.
             All this noise about the use of the word nigger is uncalled for.
The word nigger is contextual and depending on when and how you use it, this
word can also be a term of endearment. All that said, I would like to say
peace to all my niggers on the list!
          Amat