GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:22:32 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 113/2006, 18-19 December,  2006
Editorial
A CALL FOR A FRESH START!!
A new year is approaching. A  new presidential term has been put in place. As
the President of the Gambia for  the next five years.
On Friday he swore to govern in accordance with the  constitution without
fear or favour, affection or ill will.
Furthermore, he  called for constructive engagement between all sectors of
Gambian society with  his government. He mentioned other opposition parties in
particular.
Foroyaa  would like the President to proceed to create a new governance
environment  through national consultation. He may have confidential discussion
with a  repres4ntative of each opposition party on how to improve his manner of
government. This may be followed by a multiparty initiative to promote the
Memorandum of Understanding signed by all the political parties so that party
supporters as well as chiefs, governors and village heads will promote peaceful
 coexistence among our people.
The President may order the Secretary of State  for Justice to establish a
task force to review the case of all detainees and  release all those who are
detained in violation of the constitution. This should  be followed by order for
security personnel to carry out their duties in  accordance with the law.
The President may meet the heads of media houses and  order the removal of
any obstacle to the operations of Citizen FM, Sud FM, and  the Independent
Newspaper. His government should make commitment to promulgate a  Freedom of
Information Act.
The President may meet religious leaders and  elders who are known to be
uncompromising in telling the truth to share their  words of wisdom. The
consultation should be broadened to include members of  civil society organisations so
that before he delivers his New Year message a  new spirit of dialogue would
have been started that will make good governance a  reality in the country.
Declaration of intention is good. However, backing  declaration with action
is better for action speaks louder than words. Foroyaa  is waiting to capture
each initiative and history is waiting to record each  development. The future
is waiting to give its verdict. A new destiny is crying  to be rescued in the
wilderness of time.

GPU Marks Deyda’s Death
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The brutal killing of  Deyda Hydara, Managing Editor of The Point Newspaper,
two years ago was on  Saturday 16th December observed at a symposium at the
Alliance Franco Gambienne  with a call for an end to impunity.
The symposium was organised by the Gambia  Press Union.
Participants from the media and civil society noted the  government’s failure
to bring arsonists, attackers and murderer of journalists  to book.
They voiced out in particular that the killing of Deyda, the arson  attacks
on the Independent Newspaper, Radio 1 FM and the house of Ebrima Sillah  of the
BBC are some of the atrocities for which the culprits are not yet brought  to
book. They added that the continuous detention of journalists without trial,
the amendment of the Newspaper Act and the Criminal Code are part of the
restrictions on journalists to do their work effectively.
However, an appeal  was made to the killers of Deyda to come out and declare
themselves.
“You can  run but you cannot hide. You have killed Deyda but you cannot kill
democracy and  Freedom of Expression,” said a speaker.
Note: Foroyaa will feature the  comments made by various speakers in detail
in our next edition.
Meanwhile, a  press release issued by the GPU to mark the occasion, described
the killing of  Deyda as a brutal attack on Freedom of Expression. The
release urged the  President to heed to his previous call to set up a commission of
inquiry or  appoint an independent expatriate to investigate the killing of
Deyda. The  release also called on the government to repeat all laws that impede
press  freedom and Freedom of Expression. It further noted that in arresting
and  detaining media personnel the executive should observe the due process of
the  law.

Halifa Interviewed
National Assembly Elections, President’s  Inauguration
Foroyaa: People are interested in knowing what development have  taken place
since you called for a tactical alliance between the opposition  parties and
with independent candidates.
Halifa: We have received seven  requests so far from independent candidates
for support. There is also  indication that at least seven constituencies are
requesting for a NADD  candidate so far. The number is increasing as reports
come  steadily.
Investigation is still on.
Foroyaa: Have you met the UDP, NRP,  GPDP Alliance?
Halifa: The GPDP had indicated its opinion on the need for a  tactical
alliance. I have been given the responsibility to contact Mr. Gomez to  explore the
possibility of collaboration before nomination day. However, the UDP  and NRP
leaders have not indicated positions supportive of a tactical alliance.  In
fact, one Lamin Fatty is already moving about as the UDP candidate for
Serrekunda Central.
NADD, however, will maintain its position not to have a  candidate anywhere
we believe an opposition candidate or an independent  candidate can win the
seat.
Foroyaa: What is the position of NADD regarding  the Jarra West seat?
Halifa: Kemeseng Jammeh is already a sitting member of  National Assembly.
Our target is to have as many critical voices in the National  Assembly to
ensure proper scrutiny of government policies, bills, international  agreements and
operations of departments of state. The Executive Committee of  NADD is
interested in securing Kemeseng’s seat regardless of whether he stands  as a NADD
candidate or on not. We have decided not to put up a candidate in  Jarra West
if Kemeseng were to stand as an independent candidate or that of  another party.
Foroyaa: How many candidates does NADD intend to put  up?
Halifa: Consultation is still going on.
Foroyaa: Will you have the  funds?
Halifa: We are trying our best. We will give priority to the areas  where we
expect to have massive support.
Foroyaa: Have you decided to contest  the Serrekunda Central seat?
Halifa: Consultation is still going  on.
Foroyaa: What is the result of the consultation?
Halifa: That should  be clear in the coming days. I am being very objective.
I want to know the minds  of the electorate.
Foroyaa: What do you think of the UDP  candidate?
Halifa: Every Gambian who is qualified under the law has the right  to seek
the mandate of the people. I do not own the people. They own themselves.  If
they feel that somebody is in a better position to scrutinize the policies,
bills, and international agreements tabled by the APRC and render services at
the constituency level I am willing to go.
Foroyaa: You do not seem to be  keen in retaining your seat.
Halifa: Representation is a service and not a  career. Hence one should be
keen in rendering service to those who want the  service.
Foroyaa: Are you going to campaign?
Halifa: What members of  parliament say are recorded in the publication of
the National Assembly and the  Pan African Parliament, known as Hansard. I will
send people around for the  voters to look at the level of my participation in
both The Gambian and Pan  African Parliament. It is the national radio and TV
and Daily Observer which  fails to give coverage to what I say in the
National Assembly. If the media gave  us coverage, it would not have been necessary
for one to campaign. If I am  indeed asked by our militants to stand I will be
available to anyone who wants  to hear what I have to say.
Foroyaa: What do you think about President  Jammeh’s invitation for national
reconciliation?
Halifa: The President swore  to defend the constitution without fear or
favour, affection or ill will.  Kemeseng, Sidia and myself also took oath or made
affirmation to defend the  constitution without fear or favour, affection or
ill will. We are all bound by  oath and affirmation.
Take section 1 of the constitution as an example. It  states that “The
sovereignty of the Gambia resides in the people of The Gambia  from whom all organs
of government derive their authority, in whose name and for  whose welfare and
prosperity the powers of government are to be exercised in  accordance with
this Constitution.”
This simply means that we as  representatives should ensure that the people
do not live in poverty or survive  under tyranny. In my view, the APRC
government should order the release of all  those who are detained without trial,
restore the operation of the media houses  that are closed down, promote respect
for fundamental rights and freedom by law  enforcement agents and the security
forces and protect the security of tenure of  public servants. Once the
government takes initiative to facilitate the release  of those who are detained
without trial and order the protection of fundamental  rights and freedom and
creates the conducive environment for national dialogue  to maintain a climate of
peaceful coexistence among our people, the relation  between the ruling party
and the opposition would be based on the standard of  best practice.
Foroyaa: What do you have to say to the people?
Halifa: The  country belongs to each of us. Each has a role to play to make
it a just, free  and prosperous country. I hope that the people will realize
the importance of  the National Assembly and give the moral, material and
monetary assistance  necessary to ensure that we have competent National Assembly
members who can  represent the Gambian people at home and abroad. I have been
representing the  people at home and abroad and I will render thorough account
of how I have  represented them for their scrutiny in the coming days.

Former GAMTEL Directors Detained
Abdou Yanka
Mr. Omar Ndow, the  former Managing Director of Gamtel and Mr. Ebou Ceesay,
former Operations and  technical director of the aforesaid corporation are in
detention. They were  arrested by the security forces. Foroyaa was reliably
informed.
According to  sources, the duos were arrested by state security agents after
they were  relieved of their duties. No official statement was made following
the arrest  and detention of the duo. Sources close to the NIA have it that
they are being  investigated for alleged economic crimes. Sources further have
it that Mr. Ndow  and Ceesay are not to be charged.

At The Court Martial
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Babou Loum, an independent  witness, told  the ongoing Court Martial at the
Yundum Military Barracks on  Saturday 2nd December 2006 that he was called by
Sergeant Ndure while he was in  Barras and asked to go to the NIA Complex to
serve as an independent witness.  Mr. Loum said that upon his arrival at the NIA
Complex, he was escorted to an  office where he met Captain Darboe, Boto
Keita and Lamin Cham.
He said he  was later introduced to Captain Darboe by Boto Keita, as the
independent  witness. Bunja accepted him as an independent witness. Mr. Loum
indicated that  Sergeant Keita asked Captain Darboe whether he wanted to write his
statement, or  whether he would want him (Keita) to write the statement on his
behalf.  According to Loum, Bunja chose to write his own statement. He
further testified  that Boto Keita asked Bunja to write what he knows about the
foiled coup  plot.
He said that Bunja wrote the statement without force and they all  signed it.
Mr. Loum said he could recognise the statement because it bears his
signature and that of the accused person. At this Juncture, the witness was  given the
statement and he identified the signatures on the statement.
Cross  Examination By Counsel Lamin S. Camara
During cross examination by Lawyer  Lamin Camara, Mr. Loum said he came to
know the accused person in the month of  May. He said he met the accused in the
month of May this year. Counsel Camara  asks him whether he remembered the day
or date he was called by Sergeant Ndure,  and the date and day he went to the
NIA. Mr. Loum replied that he could not  remember the day and date. Camara
asked him whether it is correct that he (Loum)  has appended his signature on
the statement he replied in the positive, but said  that he did not write the
date on the statement. Camara asked “Why didn’t you  put the date,” Loum said, “
I was only made to sign.” Camara asked him whether he  wrote any thing at the
station apart from his signature and whether Boto Keita  wrote anything in
his presence, he replied in the negative. He added that he  could not tell how
many statements were obtained from Captain Darboe. He said he  know that he
signed statements. Mr. Loum said he could not remember the number  of statements
he has signed. He added that he could not tell how many times he  went to the
NIA to witness Captain Darboe making statements. Mr. Loum said he  knew Boto
Keita at the NIA when he was called to be an independent witness and  that was
the first time he met Boto Keita. Mr. Loum pointed out that he could  not
recall the language Boto Keita and Bunja were speaking. He said he could not
remember the language he was introduced to Bunja, but noted that he and Boto  were
communicating in Wollof. “I’m putting it to you that you were not present
when Bunja was making statements,” said Camara. Loum replied, “Yes I was
inside.” Camara asked, “What time of the day was it?” Loum replied, “I don’t
know because I did not have a watch. Camara asked, “Was it in the morning,
afternoon or evening?” Loum replied, “It was in the day.” Camara asked, “Can you
 read and write?” Loum replied, “Yes.” Camara said, “On TWT1 (one) page one
(1),  there is a small two (2).” Loum answered “yes, I see it.” Camara asked
“Do you  know who wrote the 2?” Loum noted, “I only know what I signed.”
Camara said,  “But you were there all the time?” Loum posited, “Yes, but I don’
t know who  wrote the two (2).”
Cross Examination By Counsel Borry S. Touray
Lawyer  Borry Touray asked him to tell the court the relationship he has with
the NIA.  Mr. Loum said he has no relationship with the NIA. He further told
the court  that he comes from the same village with Sergeant Ndure. Touray
said, “I’m  putting it to you that you were a member of the defunct July 22nd
movement at  Barracks and also an NIA agent.” Loum replied, “I was not a member
of the 22nd  July movement nor an NIA agent.” Touray asked, “Do you know the
purpose of being  an independent witness,” Loum replied, “To witness that
the accused was not  beaten or forced to sign the statement.” Touray said, “I’m
putting it to you  that the statement was not made in your presence,” Loum
answered, “I was  present.”
Cross Examination By Counsel Neneh Cham Chongan
Defense Counsel  Neneh Cham asked him whether Boto Keita has informed Captain
Darboe before the  statement was written about his right to a counsel. Babou
Loum said he did not  hear that. Neneh asked, “Did you hear Captain Darboe ask
Boto Keita about his  right to a counsel?” Mr. Loum answered, “No, I did not
hear that.” Neneh Cham  said, “I’m putting it to you that the reason that
you did not hear that is  because you were not present.” Mr. Loum replied, “I
was there but I did not hear  that.” At this point, the prosecutor told the
court that they are closing their  case in the trial within trial involving
Captain Bunja Darboe. The defense is  expected to call its first witness   on the
next  sitting.

Man Sentenced For Threatening Immigration Officers
By Modou  Jonga
Odou Jarue, a national of Guinea Bissau was on Thursday sentenced to 18
months of impresonment with hard lobour for threatening two immigration officer
with violence. The case was presided over by Magistrate E.F M’bai of the
Brikama  Magistrate Court. The accused threatened the two Immigration Officers
(Peter  Correa and Landing Saidy Faye) while they were executing their duties. The
case  happened on 9th May 2006 at Tanje.
In passing judgment, Magistrate Mbai said  the accused did not object to the
application by the prosecution to tender the  cutlass he used to threaten the
Immigration Officers. He said the accused also  failed to cross-examine the
three witnesses that were called by the prosecution.  The court convicted the
accused after it was satisfied that the prosecution have  proved its case. The
accused pleaded with the court and asked for mercy.
The  magistrate ruled that the act of the accused is a clear manifestation of
 disregard for the law and law enforcers. The court finally sentenced the
accused  to a jai term of two years with hard labour and that he should be
deported to  his country of origin if he finish serving his jail term.

WODD Organises Literacy Evaluation Seminar
By Isatou Bittaye and Amie  Sillah
Women in Democracy and Development (WODD), in collaboration with the  People’
s Centre, ABFZ of S-Women and Sweden organized a two day Evaluation  Seminar
on women literacy on the 9th and 10th December 2006 at the Simmer  vocational
Skills Training Centre in Bundung.
The objective of the seminar  was to evaluate the work women have been doing
in the area of literacy and women  empowerment during the last 5 years from
2001-2006. Mrs. Haddy S. Njie (Hata)  chaired the session. She was later
assisted by Ms. Naffisatou Secka.
In her  opening remarks, Mrs. Amie Sillah, coordinator of WODD said that
there is no  difference between women in the Gambia and those elsewhere. She added
that they  need to build a partnership based on solidarity in order to
promote the welfare  and well being of women the world over Mrs. Sillah indicated
the WODD is  non-partisan and that its mission and vision is to empower Gambian
women though  the acquisition of literacy skills, civic awareness,
participation and economic  activities.
Honourable Haifa Sallah, the Minority Leader of the National  Assembly
stressed that humankind has a common destiny. He said there are some  people who
want to impose their will on others through unilateralism, always  come to
realize in the end that it is not sustainable. Mr. Sallah asserted that  options
that face humanity are we either live in tyranny and poverty or we live  in
liberty and prosperity and we have to choose between the two.
He agreed  that the task before us in the 21st century is to choose Democracy
and  Development, and it is people who can bring about Democracy and
Development.
Halifa challenged that each individual has a choice to make,  either to live
and be controlled by tyranny and poverty or to live in dignity,  liberty and
prosperity. He said that the task before people is to help others  gain
consciousness, that in them lies the power and ingenuity to transforms  their reality.
He stressed on the issue of Gender quality, that it is  not about competition
between men and women but cooperation, that each is  important in society.
Mr. Sallah informed the gathering that WODD has secured a  printing Machine from
their partners and that it will foster the issue of  sustainability in its
operation that it would try to engage in production that  will generate
resources for the sustenance of the printing operations and WODD  activities.
Mrs. Amie Sillah dilated on women’s Rights, and international  conventions
and local initiatives. She indicated that the women movement started  in the
1970s and that women all over the world faced the same problems and that  is
Marginalisation and lack of due recognition.
She said that African Women  face problems such as forced marriages, child
battering, wife buttering,  physical abuse, wife inheritance and female genital
mutilation etc
She added  that with democracy, empowerment and education the African women
and men will be  free or emancipated from the burden that characterised their
lives. Madam  Jessica from Swedish S-women indicated that women are not given
their way to  fight for their rights and freedom. She said that women have less
political  power than men and they are maltreated because they are women.
Jessica added  that men make women as objects, subject them to threats and
violence and making  them feel invisible. She elaborated on the five domination
techniques.
-  Invisibility/ Making Women Invisible-
This takes place when women one ignored  or passed by. It’s a reminder to
women that their opinions are unimportant and  don’t count as much as men’s
opinions
-Ridiculing/Belittling
Ridiculing/Belittling takes place when  women’s efforts and accomplishments
are mocked and laughed at. It also occurs  when women are compared to animals,
like chicken Other examples are when women  are said to be too sensitive and
when their feelings and actions are  characterised as sexual or biological.
These things are not said about  men.
-Withholding Information
Withholding Information takes place when  women don’t receive the same
opportunity to take part of information at work and  in politics. One can also argue
that withholding information takes place when  women’s work and
accomplishments are ignored and not recognised.
-Dual  Punishment
Is when women are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. One  example is
when activist women are blamed for high divorce rates and an absence  from
the home but at the same time accused of not taking part in party politics  as
much as they should.
-Creating Shame and Guilt
Guilt and shame are  induced through double punishment and belittling. Women
are told that their  issues and suggestions aren’t good enough. The reason the
men use to oppose  women’s ideas might be that.
1 Women think and do things differently.
2  Women don’t have access to information controlled by men.
Rosalie and Helen  from ABFZ gave lectures on study circles operation and how
to start new study  circle in one’s neighborhood.
An evaluation charts were pasted on the wall  and participants and study
circle leaders marked the charts according to  priority. Charts asked about health
issues, Democracy, Economic Projects,  Literacy, Gardening /Farming, WODD,
and Partnership.
More participants marked  economic projects, health and Democracy as their
priorities.
Fatou Manneh  spoke about her organization, which specializes in raising
awareness among  immigrant communities. She conducts literacy classes, Skills
training and  organizes some economic projects for the members of her
organization. She urged  women to gave solidarity to each other.
Women study circle leaders give their  experiences and urged WODD and its
partners to help them initiate sustainable  economic projects for dignified
livelihoods.
The Evaluation seminar witnessed  exciting cultural performances in the form
of songs drama and dances.
The  Evaluation seminar was a real success.

A Gender  Activist Reacts To The Arrest of ‘Sex Workers’
By Abdou Yanka
For the last  three (3) weeks over forty women termed as sex workers, were
arrested from the  pubs, bars and brothels by the police and charged with
section 168 of the  Criminal Code of The Gambia Vol. III. However, it is amazing
that women are the  only ones being arrested for violating this Act and not the
men who pay for the  purported service.
This has not gone down well with many gender activists who  insist that the
police are not fair to the women. Some of the arrested women  complained that
the police will arrest every woman who is found outside her home  or whilst
waiting for a vehicle after closing from work at night.
Reacting to  the police onslaught, Mrs. Amie Sillah, a gender activist, said
she is  disappointed; that The Gambia has ratified the AU Women Protocol since
last year  with reservations and it is only this year that the government has
lifted those  reservations. She asked “why are government security forces
(police) harassing  women? They are called sex workers, it may be morally ugly,
but that is their  trade.” She noted that the women are not done in this act;
that they tango with  male clients who the police (security) never arrest. Mrs.
Amie Sillah called on  the society to stop being double standard and open
avenues for these women in  order to dissuade them from this dangerous and risky
business. She said if  avenues are created and still people refused to take it
then punishing them for  risky trades can be justifiable.
Foroyaa made many efforts to speak to the  police Public Relations Officer to
ask him why the alleged sex workers’ clients,  the men whose participation
completes the act are always left out during their  raids. When this reporter
contacted Aziz Bojang, he said he was on a meeting and  would not be available.

In The Treason Trial
Lowe’s  Testimony Expunged
Bubacarr K Sowe
The testimony of Alieu Lowe, the third  prosecution witness in the treason
trial involving Tamisr Jassey, Alieu Jobe,  Omar Keita and Demba Dem was on
Wednesday expunged from the court’s  record.
The state’s application for the evidence of Lowe to be expunged from  the
court’s record came on the heels of a claim by Emmanuel Fagbenle (the
prosecutor) that his witness is hostile to the prosecution. The court granted  the
application on Wednesday the 13th of December.
Testifying before Justice  Amin-Yeboah, Ousman Sey, an Islamic teacher
acknowledged that he know Alieu  Jobe. Mr. Sey said on the night of Tuesday, 21st of
March 2006, Alieu Jobe came  to his home and asked him whether he know what
is happening in the country. Sey  added that he then asked him what the problem
is. “He told me the soldiers want  to have a coup d’ etat, but it has failed,
” Sey Said. He continued to say that  Alieu Jobe then informed him that the
soldiers involved in the coup were Colonel  Ndure Cham and others. Sey narrated
that he then advised Alieu Jobe not to worry  himself since he is not a
soldier, and he is not involved. He added that Alieu  Jobe then received a phone
call and later drove off.
Testifying further, Sey  said while on his way to school the following day,
he received a phone call from  Alieu Jobe who informed him that he will call
him later. He said while at  school, Alieu called him and told him that Cham has
run away. Sey said after  closing from school, he passed by Alieu’s home. He
said Alieu told him that he  is worry and that he had a sleepless night,
because most of his friends were  arrested.
He testified that Alieu told him that a marabout called Chernor  Barry did
involve him in the problem. During cross-examination by Counsel Lamin  Jobarteh,
Sey said he has been in detention since his arrest on the 28th of  March
2006. He said he made only one statement at the National Intelligence  Agency
(NIA). He also said that Alieu did tell him that it is Cherno Barry who  involved
him in the problem.
Staff Sergeant Dam Jobe, of the 1st Infantry  Battalion at the Yundum
Barracks said he was on duty on the 21st of March 2006,  and was responsible for the
distribution of names. Sergeant Jobe said after the  distribution of names, he
reported to the duty officer, Lieutenant Savage, who  asked him whether he
know where Captain Y.M.S. Darboe resides. Sergeant Jobe  added that Lt. Savage
told him that the driver, Lance Corporal Colley knows  there. “He gave me a
bunch of keys for the armoury which I was to deliver to  Captain Darboe. He said
they did not meet Captain Darboe, but they handed the  keys to his wife, and
informed her to surrender them to her husband. Jobe said  he then informed Lt.
Savage on the development, and he called the wife of  Captain Darboe to
confirm that the keys were handed over to her.
During  cross-examination by Lawyer Lamin S. Camara, Sergeant Jobe indicated
Captain  Darboe was an adjutant and was responsible of the armoury keys as at
21st of  March.
Testifying later, the sixth prosecution witness, Corporal Ajuma  Camara, a
guard commander posted at the Abuko Earth Station, said while on duty  on the
21st of March 2006, Captain Wassa Camara visited the station twice and  asked
for Mr. Njie. Corporal Camara said he had asked his guard to escort  Captain
Camara to the operator who told him that Mr. Njie is not present. He  testified
that between the hours of nine and ten in the afternoon, Captain  Camara came
back and asked for the same Mr. Njie, the Director of the Abuko  Earth Station.
Corporal Camara narrated that he then took Captain Camara to the  operator
where he used a telephone to call Mr. Njie. According to Corporal  Camara, he
went with Captain Camara to a shop and bought green tea (Ataya). He  added that
while Captain Camara was coming from the other side of the fence, he  was
talking over a mobile phone. “I gave him the Ataya, he drank it and I  returned to
my guard post,” the Corporal said. He said that upon his return to  the post,
he received a call from Private B. Sanneh who informed him of a coup  plot. “
He explained everything to me and told me that some officers are arrested  and
we need to be on alert,” Corporal Camara said.
During cross-examination  by Lamin Jobarteh, Corporal Camara said Captain
Wassa Camara was the head of the  Military Police and one of his responsibilities
was checking military posts. He  said the captain was on a private visit and
he had no diary at the post to enter  the names of visitors.
A technician at the Earth Station, Lamin Colley, said  he was on duty and a
soldier came to him and asked for Mr. Njie.
Mr. Colley  said that the soldier who was wearing a civilian dress asked him
whether he can  use the phone, which he agreed to. “He spoke briefly on the
phone with Mr. Njie  and he told me that he is called Mr. Camara” Colley added. “
He also said that  Njie was to bring something for him from Dakar and later
said he is in  Bakau.”
Mr. Colley was not cross examined by the defence. The case was  adjourned for
further hearing.

Tamba Fofana Detained At  Sarengai  Police Station?
Mr. Tamba Fofana, the headmaster of Kudang  Lower Basic School is said to be
currently detained at Sarengai Police Station,  a source informed this paper.
Mr. Fofana was arrested by the police some months  ago. Sequel to his arrest
by the police at Bansang Police Station, he is said to  have been moved to
Banjul.
Since then his family has been receiving  information of his detention at
different police stations, such as Yundum,  Sibanor and Sarengai Police Station.
Family members of Mr. Tamba have informed  this paper that they are not aware
of any charge against the latter. The police  spokesperson, Superintendent
Aziz Bojang could not comment on the arrest and  detention of Mr. Tamba.
Editor’s Comment
Tamba is a headmaster. What type  of message are the authorities who detain
Tamba sending to the children of his  school? No person should be detained for
more than 72 hours without trial. The  continued detention of Tamba without
trial is a flagrant violation of the  constitution. As the president is sworn in
we hope he will ensure that respect  for fundamental rights and freedom will
be uppermost in his message to the  nation.

Former BAC Financial Director Acquitted
By  Modou Jonga
Mr. Fafa Kuyateh, the Former Financial Director at the Brikama  Area Council,
was on Tuesday 5th December, 2006 acquitted and discharge on the  charged of
obtaining money by false pretence by Magistrate E.F Mbai of the  Brikama
Magistrate’s Court.
The Former BAC Financial Director was standing  trial for allegedly obtaining
an amount of D230,000 (two hundred and thirty  thousand dalasis) from one
Bubacarr Cham over a piece of land that is situated  at Nema Kunku Village. In
his judgment on the case, the presiding Magistrate E.F  Mbai said the court is
not satisfied with the testimony of the prosecution and  further stated that
the said land is the legal property of the accused and who  obtained it legally.
The Magistrate, therefore, acquitted and discharged the  accused accordingly.
The police prosecutor was 413 Sanyang, speaking to  reporters outside of the
courtroom, the discharged BAC Financial Director.