GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:56:33 -0800
Mr. Kah,

I have noticed again that you are shifting perspectives.  I have also
noted that most of the preliminary positions you raised are issues of
state policy rather than the intrinsic functions of the armed forces.
 The military has a mandate, like any other state agency, to
implement policies as directed by the legitimate authorities of the
day; they do not have the option to pick and choose what orders to
follow, and which to reject.  The officers have a constitutional
obligation to execute the orders of the Commander-in Chief ( the
elected president).  If an officer has genuine and legal grounds
against the execution of his duties, he has the option to tender a
resignation through his chain of command.  Since antiquity, the armed
forces has ever been an instrument of the state- a disciplined
profession responsible for the orderly management of violence.  A
classic military leadership concept is the maintenance of a triad at
the strategic level i.e. the people's hearts and minds, civilian
authority and military professionalism.  These three are like
magnetic pillars that maintain the balance in any successful military
effort.  Now if you are telling me that the military should be
responsive to the mob sentiments, then my friend you are asking for
chaos; on the other hand if you tell me that the military commander
should have the latitude to pick and choose a cafeteria of orders,
then you are asking for anarchy- because the armed forces might as
well be labeled another arm of the government with constitutional
powers to check and sanction the executive in their sui generis
terms. Either/or your concept of "peoples army" is wrong and very
dangerous to civilized society. Winning the hearts and minds of the
local community is very different from cavorting with popular
political sentiments.
Now to your last assertions about officer promotions and loyalty
issues..etc, etc.  I am yet to see any government on this planet
which does not promote senior officers based on some appreciation of
loyalty- this occurs every where.
Finally, Mr. Kah, you see whenever the armed forces assume a law
enforcement role, it requires serious structural adjustments of the
forces concerned to fit a specific policy objective.  Armies don't
issue policies, civilians do! They just obey and complain later.

=====
Ebou Jallow
Georgetown University
Washington, DC