GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:39:34 +0000
Kebba Foon,

I feel deficient here.  Since you lived at Kent Street , OKO-JABOU and
SOFFIE have been able to give the history of Afdie- Laugh.

I guess those of us who lived at Lasso Wharf, Anglesea, Clarkston and
Hopkinson which I believe was part of Banjul Central need someone to come to
our rescue.

What about Serekunda, Bakau and DEHGI?

Nevertheless, these are very good history lessons which deserves every bit
credit and needs to be narrated always.

Best regards,

Ablie Njie- LEKBI

>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [>-<] [Fwd: SOLDIER TOWN]
>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 2:39:05 +0000
>
>[ This e-mail is posted to Gambia|Post e-Gathering by <[log in to unmask]>
>]
>

> > Thanks Matarr for the fateleku, I will foreward it to the Post.
>
>Kebba Foon
>
> > From: Matarr Amadou Sallah <[log in to unmask]>
> > Date: 2004/01/21 Wed AM 01:01:49 GMT
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: SOLDIER TOWN
> >
> > Oko;
> > thanks for the fateleku
> >
> > Here i will try to name a few of the soldier town ndongos.
> > The guys were : Chana doh, Sarani Mbye,Chekeh, Jodi Ampa, the late Kebba
> > Daffeh (Kebba XI ) ,Father Kek,Banjoko, Daniboy, Neneh Ndow (the well
>known
> > dock worker), Belie Chorr,Pierre Fraser, Wal jojoh Njie, Dod Samba
>Yembeh
> > just to name a few.
> >
> > Do you guys remember the late Amat Dimba. I remember once at a Zone 2
> > football match he was very drunk and some guys confronted him wondering
>how
> > he can be so drunk under the hot sun.
> > the only reply he gave them was that the day he die  let them be rest
> > assured that the cause of death is Caana. May his soul rest in peace.
> >
> > There were also some ladies like Ebbie Coker, Mariama Joni joni, Bin
>rankin
> > and of course the super star Nyima Nding commonly known as mrs. Jawara.
> >
> > oko, you mentioned Joe Cates and his contributions But you seem to
>forget
> > about two people who contributed a lot namely Anthon Black Star and
>Tapha
> > John( may they R.I.P.)
> >
> > habib, There were lots of Baal Puserr in soldier town especially along
> > spalding street and Spalding Curve (tally 8)
> > almost all the football teams were from soldier town.
> >
> > The official first division teams from soldier town were
> > Benson and Hedges (real de banjul)
> > Augustinians
> > Fantoms
> > Adonis
> > Arranse
> > Freezings
> >
> > official Second divisions
> > Kebba XI            managed by the late Kebba Daffeh   (the cripple)
>R.I.P
> > Benfica              managed by  Ebou Njie (Pesseh9
> > Ndaanan            managed by Frederick Blell
> > Starlight
> > A.C. Milan          managed by Yuti
> >
> > The other unofficial teams were
> > W.W.w.     managed by Pesseh
> > A.S Karl      managed by Ousainou sowe of Rankin st.
> >
> > There was also :
> > A boxing center managed by Aday Fowlis
> > And the weight lifting center at Spalding street run by Lui( later
>become a
> > muslim called Abdoulie)
> > soldier town was very rich in terms of culture
> [...]

Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com