GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:47:08 EST
Ginny,
l did not get a chance to welcome you to the list before, but l join the
other in doing so, and wishing you the best of luck and a  very safe trip to
Gambia. As someone already pointed out, the visually impaie=red in our
country have a long way to go, and your generous offer of assistance is one
of the steps that will get them there. Thanks, and enjoy the list, and do not
hesitate to speak your mind.

Jabou Joh

 Thanks everyone for your email messages of support and encouragement.  I've
 had a long day and don't have much to say (although that could change in the
 next few keystrokes!)  I'm making the last-minute preparations for my trip
 to The Gambia.  I'm going to get my prescription filled for Lariam (like
 anyone really wanted to know that) tomorrow.  I'm taking my guide dog Abby
 to the vet to get her paper work done on Friday, or Monday, depending on
 when my brother can take me.
      Obviously, I do not have a car, although sometimes I tease people about
 teaching Abby to drive.  Abby went with me this summer to The Gambia, and
 although many people were afraid of her, many were fascinated by her.  She
 is a four-year old Labrador Retriever and I've had her for three years.  I
 got her from Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, Michigan, which is near
 Detroit, Michigan.
      Abby had no problems over there, she seemed to like it, although she
 didn't like the beach very much.  On really hot days, I just left her in my
 room with a bowl of water and her chewing bone.  She seemed happiest there,
 especially during the middle of the day when it was hot.
      Anyway, getting my meds and getting Abby to the vet are the last two
 things I have to do, oh, yes, and reconfirming my flight!  And of course,
 take my finals next week.  I'm graduating in May (hopefully), with a degree
 in psychology and a minor in history!  Not sure what I'm going to do with
 that, but I'll find something.
      OK, I started writing this to thank everyone for their positive
 messages, and it has turned into a book.  I'm sorry.  I tend to get carried
 away.  Maybe I should write a book, a real one this time.
      Anyway, I'm off to work on my website
 (http://www.public.usit.net/gmquick), check the rest of my mail, and go to
 bed.
      Take care everyone, and have a good night.
 Talk to you later!
 Ginny