GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:13:34 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  014/2007, 5-6 February, 2007

Editorial
THE PRESIDENT HAS NO POWER TO  APPOINT THE SPEAKER
The press release from the Department of State for  Foreign Affairs and the
National Assembly issued on 2nd February 2007 states,  among other things, that
the Honourable Mrs. Fatoumata Jahumpa Ceesay has been  appointed Speaker of
the National Assembly. According to the GRTS news broadcast  the appointment is
done in accordance with Section 88(b) of the constitution, as  amended in
2001. The fact of the matter is that Section 88 (1) (b) makes no  provision for
the election of Speaker. It simply states that in addition to the  elected
members “The National Assembly shall comprise five members nominated by  the
President.”
The provision of the constitution that deals with the office  of Speaker is
Section 93. It states that “The Speaker of the National Assembly  and Deputy
Speaker shall be elected by the members of the Assembly from among  the
nominated members.”
It states that “The Chief Justice shall preside at  that election of a
Speaker.” It is therefore clear that the press release from  the Department of State
for Foreign Affairs does not speak the language of the  Constitution.
Foroyaa advises that since the Attorney General is the  Principal legal
adviser of the government, before such announcements are made,  which require the
quoting of the constitution, he/she should be consulted to  save the government
from embarrassment. To announce the name of the Speaker  before the National
Assembly Members sit to elect one is to undermine their  integrity. In short,
if they act as announced many people will begin to see the  parliament as a
rubber stamp of the Executive. This would be a very unhealthy  beginning for the
National Assembly. We hope the Department of State would  inform the public
of the error in its press  release.

DETENTION WITHOUT TRIAL PERSISTS
Detention  without trial of political opponents, former civil servants,
former security  officers and former close associates of the president has
continued unabated.  The persons listed below are still being detained and are yet to
be brought  before any court of law to face any charges they have purportedly
committed. In  fact the security forces are yet to comply with a high court
order to release  Master Tamba Fofana of Kudang Lower Basic School. The ruling
was made on 28  December 2006.
Family members of some of the detainees also claimed that  they do not have
access to their loved ones. The detainees are:
Rtd. Colonel  Vincent Jatta, former Chief of Defence Staff, arrested in March
2006
Sgt.  Buba Mendy, G.N.A, arrested in April 2006
Sgt. Buba Jammeh, G.N.A, arrested  in June 2006
Mr. Musa Dibba, N.I.A, arrested in March 2006
Mr. Ngorr  Secka, Former DDG N.I.A., arrested in June 2006
Mr. Abdoulie Kujabi, Former  D.G.  N.I.A., arrested in March 2006
Phoday Barry former DDG N.I.A.,  arrested in May 2006
Babucarr Jobarteh, Former Protocol Officer arrested in  October 2006
Lamin Sanneh, Former P.S. at Works and Construction, arrested in  October 2006
Karamo Jaiteh, Dept. of State for Works and Construction,  arrested in
October 2006
Master Tamba Fofana, Headmaster Kudang L.B.S,  arrested on 13 September 2006
Chief Ebrima Manneh, a Journalist at Daily  Observer, arrested in July 2006
Ousman Rambo Jatta, Councillor Bakau Ward,  arrested in August 2006
Suruwa Jaiteh, former D.P.S. Agriculture, arrested in  November 2006
Dr. Badara Loum, former P.S Agriculture, arrested in November  2006
Superintendent Abdoulie Colley, O/C Sibanor Police Station, arrested in
August 2006
Marcel Jammeh, Foni, arrested in 2005
Haruna Jammeh, Foni,  arrested in 2004
Jisaja Kujabi, Foni, arrested in 2004
Amadou Cora,  Businessman from Tambasansang, U.R.R, arrested at end December
2006
Foroyaa  will continue to monitor the situation of detainees who have not
been charged  and taken to court and update its list every month.

“COURT MARTIAL  FILES STOLEN,”
SAY COUNSELS
By Fabakary B. Ceesay and Annia  Gaye
Defence Counsel Borry S. Touray and Lamin S. Camara have on Thursday,  1st
February 2007, informed the court martial about the stolen files pertaining  to
Captain Yaya Darboe’s case.
According to Borry S. Touray, the counsel for  Captain Yaya Darboe, the court
files were stolen from his parent’s car. He  asserted that the windscreen of
Mrs. Sainabou Wadda Ceesay’s car was broken and  the intruders went away with
files including the court martial files. Counsel  Lamin S. Camara also
confirmed that the files were stolen. He told the court  that he knew about the
stolen files before Mr. Touray. He said that Mrs. Ceesay  informed him earlier
before Mr. Touray was informed about the incident. Justice  Agim promised the
counsels that, he will ask the court clerk to do something to  assist them to get
the missing files. He asked the prosecutor also to help Mr.  Touray with
photocopied documents concerning Captain Yaya Darboe’s case. The  prosecutor, E.O
Fagbenle, also promised to photocopy his records for Mr. Touray.  Continuing
his cross examination, counsel, Lamin S. Camara, asked WO2 Jabang  whether
Exhibit H (statement) was all throughout with the panel. WO2 Jabang  replied in the
positive. “WO2 Jabang, I’m putting it to you that exhibit H was  put to the
general public on TV before it was read,” said counsel Camara. “It  might
have been, but not to my knowledge. It is a long time now,” replied  Jabang. “I’
m putting it to you that exhibit H was shown on TV by someone who is  not even
a member of the investigating panel,” said counsel Camara. WO2 Jabang
replied: “It is not correct.” “I’m also putting it to you that, exhibit H was  not
at the time with the investigating panel,” said counsel Camara. WO2 Jabang
replied that it was counsel Camara who asked Jabang whether there was a date on
 exhibit H. Jabang replied in the negative. WO2 Jabang noted that he was
outside  when the reading of exhibit H was recorded. He added that two police
officers,  Lamin Cham and Abdoulie Sowe, two independent witnesses, Tijan Bojang
and Babou  Loum, and the GRTS crew were present. Camara asked him whether
Captain Bunja  Darboe was cautioned before the recording. WO2 Jabang said that
Captain Darboe  was cautioned before the recording. “Is it contained in exhibit M
(Video tape).”  Jabang replied? No Sir.” Camara further asked him whether he
recorded their  movements with Captain Bunja Darboe to and from his office
during the recovery  of exhibit H and he replied that their movements were not
recorded. “I’m putting  it to you that the recovery of exhibit H, M,N and N1are
not recorded in any of  your diaries he said. Jabang replied:  “Yes Sir.” “
Does exhibit H contain  the names of any of the accused persons?” asked Counsel
Camara. WO2 replied: “It  does not contain names but Captain Bunja Darboe’s
Signature.” “You said it  contained Captain Darboe’s Signature. Are you a
hand writing expert?” Counsel  Camara asked. Jabang replied: “Yes it contained
Captain Darboe’s Signature, but  I’m not an expert.”
Cross Examination By Counsel Borry S. Touray
Counsel  Borry S. Touray asked WO2 Nfally Jabang whether he can produce any
written sheet  of paper to show that the accused persons were cautioned with
regards to exhibit  M (video tape) before they were recorded. WO2 Jabang pointed
out that the  accused persons were cautioned before they appeared on TV, but
that he cannot  provide any written document. “Is it correct that the accused
persons requested  to be on TV,” asked Touray. Jabang replied: “Only those
who requested were put  on TV.”
Cross Examination By Counsel Mboge
Counsel Lamin Mboge asked WO2  Jabang whether in his evidence in chief, he
did not say that the accused persons  requested through Captain Wassa Camara to
appear on TV. WO2 Jabang said that was  what he said. “Is it correct that in
your evidence in chief, you did not mention  any independent witness present
when the recording was taking place?” Jabang  replied that he had mentioned
their presence. “Is it correct that, you have  watched the video tape (exhibit M)”
 asked Counsel Mboge. Jabang replied: “Yes,  likewise the whole Gambian
people.” “Did you see the 4th accused person, 2nd  Lieutenant Pharing Sanyang on
the video cassette (exhibit M),” asked Mboge.WO2  replied: “I did not see him
but I watched the TV on that day.” Sitting was  adjourned to 8th February
2007.

THE SUPREMACY OF THE  CONSTITUTION
CONSTITUTIONAL WATCHDOG
Seyfo Bala Musa Sanyang Must Resign  To Be National Assembly Member
According to a press release issued by the  Department of State for Foreign
Affairs and National Assembly Matters, Seyfo  Bala Musa Sanyang has been
nominated to be a member of the National Assembly.  Section 90 subsection (1)
paragraph (k) of the constitution states the condition  that disqualifies a person
from being a member of the National  Assembly.
Section 90 subsection (1) paragraph (k) states that “No person is  qualified
for election as a member of the National Assembly if he or she is a  District
Seyfo or Alkalo.” Subsection (3) of section 90 states that this section  on
disqualification “shall apply to nominated members with such modifications
relating to time limits for elections.”
A Seyfo cannot be a National  Assembly Member.
A spokesperson of the Governor’s office, upon enquiry, has  said that Bala
Musa Sanyang has neither resigned nor has he been dismissed, and  as of now is
still the Chief of Foni Berefet.

GAMBIA COLLEGE  STUDENTS STILL OFF CAMPUS
By Baboucarr Ceesay
Reports reaching Foroyaa  have it that students of the Gambia College are
still living off the college  campus residence. College students who expressed
their dismay and disappointment  to this reporter said the Student Union leaders
left no stone unturned to settle  the matter with the concerned authorities,
but the situation remains  unchanged.
The students mentioned that the Union leaders discussed with the  Permanent
Secretary for Education but his reaction was that the dormitories are  not
habitable and for that matter the college administration was ordered to  close
them. They indicated that the same reason was given when they took up the  issue
with the college council and the SoS for Education.
They further  explained that the Students Union leaders later wrote to the
President for an  audience with him on their plight, but the President also
referred them to the  SoS for Youths, Sports and Religious Affairs. After meeting
with SoS Faye, the  students said the matter was followed up to the level of
the President’s Office  again.
The students however alleged that their residence is being used as  hostel
for guests, whilst they stay off campus with a stipend of only D350.00 to  cater
for rent, feeding and other costs.
When contacted, the Principal of the  Gambia College, Dr. A.B. Senghore, said
that they have clarified issues to the  general student body that the
dormitories would be closed for this academic year  as a matter of policy and,
therefore, accommodation and feeding would not be  available.
On the students’ allegation that the student residence is being  used as a
hostel, Senghore said that they have renovated only four rooms to  accommodate 9
Dutch students from the University of Zealand in Holland who are  on an
exchange programme for cultural experience lasting for four weeks. He said  these
students are P.T.C students and the college cannot afford them rooms in  the
hotels, and therefore had to use the college residence.
Dr. Senghore also  said that 9 students from the P.T.C students of The Gambia
College are already  selected to pay an exchange visit to their counterparts
in March. He stated that  these students will be provided with free air
tickets.
“The students have to  understand that the closure of the dormitories came as
a matter of policy and  not a permanent closure, but only for this academic
year,” he  concluded.

EMBRACE THE ART – SAYS OKO DRAMMEH
Music  is an Art that has the potential to evoke emotional and intellectual
sensibilities. It can be utilized as a means for both entertainment and
education. Music, combining both the arrangement of instruments sounds and  songs,
can also serve as a representation of and vehicle that can project and  convey
a people’s culture.
The Foroyaa, therefore, explores this field of  human endeavour through this
exclusive interview that Ousman Sillah had with Mr.  Momodou Drammeh, aka Oko
Drammeh, a renowned international music promoter who is  based in Holland.
This encounter enables Oko to answer to questions about  himself, culture, the
history and state of music in The Gambia and the way  forward.
Foroyaa: Mr. Oko Drammeh, this is the Foroyaa Newspaper and we want  to
conduct an interview with you. By way of introduction, can you tell our  readers,
basically, who Oko Drammeh is, where he originated from and his  childhood?
Oko: Oko Drammeh is the son of the late Ya Arret Mboge who hails  from Hagan
Street in then Bathurst and now Banjul. Ya Arret Mboge was a female  social
elder who had a strong political influence. She lived at a place formerly
called ‘Sotokoto’ in Hagan Street in Banjul. Our compound used to be a center  for
many youths, especially the young elite and educated Gambian professionals,
at the time, called ‘Hyde Park Vous. In front of the compound, there was also
The Gambia Workers’ Union headed by the late M.E Jallow whom Ya Arret also
has  to provide for. I’m from a mother who was very much involved in the then
political and social life of The Gambia. I  became a follower of her
footsteps and that’s why  I  took the job of culture, social  management and
preserving Gambian  history as my profession I, myself, as  Oko Drammeh, have gained
numerous  successes  since 1980, to be  precise.
I started my professional life as the manager of the legendary  Ifangbondi
Dance Band which was formerly known as the Super Eagles Jazz band. I  was
educated in the Ifangbondi industry and had a lot of opportunity to study
professional music involving the legal and technical aspects of the music  business.
From 1981, I left The Gambia with numerous musicians traveling  abroad and we
never came back. This was because in 1981 a coup d’etat was  attempted and
which interrupted my job as a musician. The musicians and the  youths were held
responsible for the coup. Hence the Art was also held  hostage.
I am now trying to bring back the Art and that’s what I’m here for:  Oko
Drammeh the Revivalist.’
Foroyaa: Well you have explained how you came to  be wedded with music. But,
why music? Was it something that you desired during  childhood to pursue as a
career or was it accidental?
Oko Drammeh: No it was  not accidental. I had been in the heartbeat of social
life in Banjul. As I told  you earlier my mother used to organise a lot of
social events. But this time  there was nothing like electric music in the
world. There was traditional music  like the Sabarrs and other local stuff that my
mother conducted. Suddenly, my  brothers and sisters were quick to pick up or
learn from the music coming from  the outside world, like the Congolese and
Swahili music from East Africa. We  lived in an educated area in Bathurst
(Banjul) where some of its inhabitants had  been travelling to England up and down.
I was fascinated by the technological  presentation of the Record Player and
the record and melodies that came through  it. It was, though, not a natural
thing, but I built up interest and later, of  course, through media exposure and
journalism I came to know the financial  benefits and the historical rewards
that are attached to this great profession.
Foroyaa: Can you tell us when organised professional music like a Dance or
Jazz Band started in The Gambia?
Oko Drammeh: As I was saying earlier to you,  organised music started around
the late 1950s in The Gambia here. Then many  Gambian musicians didn’t have
musical instruments at all. It was those who lived  in a part of Leman Street, a
district they used to call Jollof and Portuguese  Town, and who came from the
Cape Verde Islands with their music. It was these  people who introduced
their music in this part of Bathurst at a place called the  ‘Foyer’ (Fuwayeh)
hall or center at Hill Street. By that time there was no  African drums in Music,
there was the contrabass, the violin, congas, sometimes  a box and on very
few occasions a box guitar. Then there was no electric music  by that time in
the sub-region.
But after that, Foyer hall introduced some  musical instruments as part of
the French Cultural Exchange. This is how the  Portuguese recruited Laba Sosseh,
who came from the Mbayen family of Angelsea  Street where many great drummers
hailed from. Laba also brought Pa Touray along  with him few days after. They
became drummers and... they dare not sing  there..eheh… Laba Sosseh and Pa
Touray graduated from that, as they used to sing  back-up vocals and copy those
songs that the Portuguese used to sing.
From  there they started the African Jazz. You see, before African Jazz there
were  pockets of small bands. There was the band at the Bright or Ritz Cinema
at  Fitzerald Street and also another called the ‘Boggey Boys Band’ at the
shoemaker’s shop. There were these pockets of bands but the African Jazz was
the  first organised band in The Gambia that’s in the beginning of the 1960’s.
By  this time many musical tunes in the country were imported. The songs
were, like  I told you, played by instruments that are not electric. They were
Congolese  songs, Swahili songs and some Ghanian highlife music. All these
musicians were  non-professionals who were managed by Gambians who had never
travelled abroad.  People like Chamsu Coker. He was a great pinoneer of music and
there were other  Gambians. But nothing turned out professional until the middle
of the 60’s when  a Gambian businessman called Malick Secka, a photographer,
introduced brand new  instruments and recruited the best musicians from ‘Rocker
Mambo’ Jazz Band,  African Jazz, Bogey Boys etc, and formed them into what
they called the Eagles  Band. The Eagles Band was the first professional band in
The Gambia and it  included artists like Pa Touray, Badou Jobe, Modou Cham
and many others.  However, the key people were Pa Touray, Badou Jobe, who were
the driving forces;  they came from Foyer to African Jazz Band and straight to
Eagles Band.
But  the musicians were not contented with Malick Secka. So when Solo Darboe,
a  diamond dealer, came from the Congo he bought brand new instruments and
gave it  to Pa Touray as a gift. That’s how Super Eagles Band was born. Then
Congolese  music was very big in The Gambia and there was nothing else.
Foroyaa: When  was this?
Oko Drammeh: This was around the mid 60’s. Super Eagles went to  England as
one of the first African bands to go to Europe. BBC was stunned. They
interviewed the Super Eagles along with the Beatles, the Edgar Broting band. The
Super Eagles didn’t care about the Beatles as they didn’t know much about them.
They just went and performed in such a way that they were admired. But they
were  admired for one wrong reason. They were copying. The Super Eagles were
copying  the music of the Europeans. This made some Europeans very disappointed
as they  asked the question: ‘how can they come here, called themselves the
Super Eagles  and then sing the Beatles?’ Fortunately for them at that time, they
had recorded  one album which was called ‘Viva Super Eagles.’ This album
contained songs about  the continent and sang in Swahili and Congolese rhythms
and about Pan-Africanism  that made the whole continent to start to know about
Gambia. They did this album  very successfully because they studied in England
how to make cords and how to  control tunes and notes. The band also learnt
how to make musical arrangements  using the modern, standard and mainstream
techniques like refrains, transposing,  ascending, descending etc. This made their
music to became structured just like  the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. So
they were the best in Africa, which could  not be disputed. That became great
phenomena, a big success. When they returned  to The Gambia, they re-examined
themselves and then decided to call the band  Ifang Bondi. Many of the
musicians, however, had already left then.
It was at  that point that I was inspired to join them. Ifang Bondi embarked
on a ‘Cultural  Renaissance.’ The political and social activities of my
mother also motivated  me, as you know my mother was involved in bringing here ET
Mensah, the biggest  ‘Highlife’ king during Kwame Nkrumah’s day. She was also
responsible for sending  so many young people to study in Ghana in those days.
My mother’s activities had  led to the invitation of numerous legendary bands
such as the Rico Jazz from the  Congo, the Heartbeats, Gerald di Pino from
Sierra Leone, Oliver Nelson from the  USA and many others.
Our music reached every corner of the world. Gambians  took pride in it, but
the musicians of Ifang Bondi were so hurt that they were  playing imitation
music.
See next issue for  continuation

OPINION
IS PRESIDENT JAMMEH’S INTERVENTION NOT A  SUPERSTITION?
I am not a complicated man as my wife could happily tell you  but I do get a
bit worried about these stories that have been emailed, where  African people
say something stupid about the science of Aids and we all laugh  at them. To
be fair, the facts don’t make it easy for me to be this  sanctimonious. The
Gambian President, Yahya A.J.J Jammeh, has just disclosed  that he can personally
cure HIV/AIDS and asthma, using charisma, magic and  charm. The cure is a day’
s treatment he says: asthma, five minutes. HIV/AIDS  treated on Thursdays,
and within three days the person should be tested again. I  can tell you that
he/she will be negative.
The president marched triumphantly  into hospitals and left patients vomiting
and in agony. It’s hard to tell what  the treatments involve, but Jammeh
explained that his patients are not to be  allowed to eat seafood or pepper and
they should be kept at a place that has  adequate toilet facilities, because
they can be going to toilet every five  minutes. The official news source
reported that the president’s curative power  left doctors and nurses mesmerised and
stunned.
We actively export our  superstition; there is the white European
nutritionist Matthias Rath who was in  South Africa, selling his ridiculous vitamin pills
with the message that they  are better than antiretroviral medications, with
a sturdy influence over Thabo  Mbeki.
Last year 2.8 million people died of AIDS, and 40 million are HIV  positive.
This is an illness that laughs at our superstition, it laughs at our
politics, it dwarfs our wars, it laughs at our quackery, our love for money, and  it
shows our morality as nothing more than vanity. The issue of HIV/AIDS should
be approached in a scientific manner and not through superstition.
SEEDY  CEESAY.
ENGLAND.

A Post-mortem of the National Assembly  Elections (Part I)
By Demba Jawo
Now that the results of the  National Assembly elections are known and the “
two empty barrels” have been  thrown out of the National Assembly, no doubt to
the jubilation of those  Gambians who are happy with a rubber-stamp National
Assembly, where anything  originating from President Jammeh and the executive
will pass without any  dissent, it is time to reflect on the implications.
The question in the lips  of every Gambian concerned about the welfare of
this country is how the APRC  managed to obtain such a “landslide victory”,
despite the regime’s very poor  humanitarian and governance record, and why a
majority of Gambians failed to  come out and vote.
While there may not be straight forward answers to these  and many other
questions, but there are certain obvious factors responsible.  There is absolutely
no doubt that more than 90 percent of those who failed to  come out and vote
are opposition supporters. The question is therefore why they  chose to stay
at home instead of come out and vote for the candidates of their  choice.
Again, while there may not be a straight forward answer, but there is no  doubt
that the unceremonious split of the opposition was an important factor.  Many
opposition supporters were so angry with the unjustifiable split that they  chose
to rather allow the status quo to continue than come out to vote for any  of
the opposition candidates.
Of course, while that was not the best option  for anyone interested in the
welfare of the country, but it was not difficult to  understand their reason
for choosing such an option, no doubt out of frustration  with the opposition
disunity.
Another obvious reason why the turn out was so  low, no doubt had something
to do with the insecurity that all known supporters  and sympathisers of the
opposition are subjected to in this country. Even during  the official campaign
period, when the IEC was supposed to have been in charge  of every aspect of
the electoral process, we have seen how some opposition  supporters and even
those already nominated to contest either for the opposition  or as independent
candidates were arrested and their supporters subjected to  intimidation and
harassment, for no obvious reason but because they dared  challenge the APRC.
Indeed, the APRC supporters and militants seem to have  been given a carte
blanche to intimidate and harass opposition supporters, while  the police were
given specific orders by President Jammeh to “deal with trouble  makers” or be
dealt with themselves, and we all know what that meant in present  day
Gambian parlance.
Therefore, there was quite a genuine reason for many  people to choose to stay
 at home rather than get involved in the political game,  knowing fully well
that they could be harassed for even being suspected of  sympathising with the
opposition, let alone manifest their open support for  it.
It is therefore quite obvious that as long as this type of politics
continues in this country, the voter apathy manifested in both the presidential
elections in September and the National Assembly elections will be a permanent
feature in this country, with only those who support the APRC daring to come out
and manifest their political views and the silent majority would remain
disenfranchised as a result of fear of intimidation and harassment.
It is  quite clear to any genuine analyst of the Gambian political scene that
if every  Gambian was free to come out and manifest his/her support for the
party or  candidate of his/her choice, the outcome of both the presidential
elections and  the National Assembly elections would have been very much
different from what  obtained.
Therefore, we should hope and pray that those who still have the  courage to
advise President Jammeh would tell him about the need to respect the  wishes
of those who hold a different political view from his, rather than term  all
those with a different political view point as “unpatriotic” Gambians who
deserve to be treated as enemies of the state.
Indeed, the international  community should also take note of this
undesirable state of affairs and take it  up with the Gambian authorities, because this
is certainly unsustainable. It  would be irresponsible for people of goodwill
both in The Gambia and the outside  to watch the country slide into possible
chaos.

“LET’S BURY THE  HATCHET”
FONI BINTANG NAM-ELECT
By Modou Jarju
Ebrima Solo Jammeh has  recently organised a ceremony marking the celebration
of his victory in his  native village, Bulanjor. He granted an interview to
this reporter during the  ceremony.
Hon. Jammeh urged the people of his constituency to bury their  political
differences and work towards the interest of the constituency. He  further
mentioned that the constituency belongs to them. “If it develops, it  will benefit
all of us. The people should forget about the past and think of the  future,”
he remarked.
Jammeh said his first aim is to unite everybody,  notably women and youths to
work for the betterment of the younger generation.  He said his second aim is
to open an account for his constituency, like a  disaster relief fund which
could be used to help those in need of assistance. He  said his name, the chief’
s name, the Alkalo’s name and the councilors name will  not be in the account
book. He said the signatories to the account will be those  selected to
oversee the disaster relief committee
Asked whether he will  be able to work with the local authorities. He said he
is not out to challenge  the chief, councilors and Alkalos. He added that he
respected them and is  willing to work with them for the interest of the
constituency. He further said  he is a man who has vision for his constituency and
believes in peace, hard work  and development. He said he will support bills
that are in the interest of the  people, and will never support bills that are
not in the interest of the  people.

UNACCREDITED ELECTION OBSERVERS IN FONI BINTANG
The  voting process at Foni Bintang Constituency would have passed off as
relatively  excellent had their been no presence of Non Accredited election
observers at  polling stations. At Foni Bintang Polling station C31, this reporter
met with  John P Bojang, Gambia’s Ambassador to the US and Taiwan. When
contacted by this  reporter for any comment, he simply dilated his concern on the
voter turn out  and the competency of the staff overseeing the election. At
Kansange polling  station C30, personnel of the military came in and asked one of
the security  officers in charge if every thing was all right. Also at
Balanjor, the IEC  presiding officer there was asked if he’d seen any soldiers
around. He said he  did but they did not intimidate him or anybody who was
interested in the  election process. However, as many people waited in the queue to
vote, the  presence of soldiers going and coming made many to feel very
uncomfortable. One  observer from the coalition of election observers questioned why
the soldiers  are interested to know if everything was all right. At Kusamai
polling station  C26 and C25, a Nissan patrol with tinted glass and numberless
registration plate  made a stop at the polling grounds and in it were plain
clothes officers who  came down and started asking both polling agents and the
presiding officers if  everything was all right. After spending sometime the
plain clothes officers who  said they are from Kanilai boarded their vehicle,
drove a few metres away and  then stopped just behind a small mosque. They were
still there when we drove  away. One of the IEC officers at Kusamai who was
asked whether he had any  knowledge why the military personnel were roaming
polling stations, said they  were only patrolling border villages. But what this
reporter noticed is that  Kansange, Balanjor and Bintang are not border towns or
villages?

SUKU SINGHATEH SHRUGS OFF ALLEGATIONS
Hon Suku Singhateh, the  National Assembly Member for Lower Badibou, has
shrugged off allegations that he  is the principal architect behind the arrest of
the UDP sympathizers in his  constituency. Speaking to this reporter over the
weekend, Singhateh said he  never reported the case involving the arrestees
and his relatives to the police  as alleged by his opponents. He said even
though he was in Badibou at the time  of the incident, he has no idea of what
transpired.
“I have no idea about  what happened. The UDP candidate is my blood brother.
We are from the same  compound. We are not only brothers, but we are friends.
We joke over some of  these things”, he remarked. Singhateh said he will try
and settle the matter  peacefully. He said he was disappointed when he saw a
report about the incident  on the papers. He said he learnt that some of the
arrestees have been released  by the Police.

UDP SERREKUNDA CENTRAL CANDIDATE  REARRESTED
Confirmed reports reaching this reporter have it that Mr. Alhagie  Fatty, the
defeated UDP candidate for Serrekunda Central was rearrested by the  police
on Thursday night at his home in Bundung. Mr. Fatty is currently being
detained at the Bundung police station. It is not clear why he is rearrested. It
could be recalled that Mr. Fatty was earlier arrested on Election Day and
released on bail. This reporter contacted the Bundung police station and was  told
that the station officer is out of the jurisdiction. However, an insider at
the Bundung police confirmed the arrest and detention of Mr.  Fatty.

FJC NOMINATED AS SPEAKER
A press release issued by the  Government has it that President Yahya Jammeh
has acted under the provisions of  section 88 (b) of the constituency of the
Republic of the Gambia as amended in  2001, and nominated the following as
members of the National  Assembly;
1.         The Honourable  Mrs. Fatoumata  Jahumpa-Ceesay
      Speaker
2.         The Honourable Mr.  Seedy  Njie(NAPSA)
                 Member
3.         The Honourable  Seyfo Bala Musa Sanyang (Chief of Foni Berefet
Member
4.         The Honourable Ms.  Tina  Faal
                        Member
5.         The Honourable Mrs.  Oley  Sey
                        Member
Jahumpa is expected to succeed Belinda Bidwell who was selected by
Parliamentarians after Sherrif Mustapha Dibba was unceremoniously removed by  President
Jammeh. The press release states that Jahumpa and the recently elected
National Assembly Members will be sworn in very soon.