GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:29:02 EDT
Kotu Habib:
Thanks for the post.  Contrary to your assertions, I went from being one with
revolutionary tendencies to more of a moderate with limited right wing
tendencies.  In fact, the first advisor to take me under his wing was a Poli
Sci professor called Jonathan Fox.  While an American, this man was
vehemently anti American foreign policy especially in Vietnam and then in
Nicaragua.  My first paper was so anti-American that he took me into his
office at the end of my first year and tried to persuade me to do Poli Sci as
opposed to any type of sciences.  I also took a few Poli Sci classes at
Harvard with Jane Widener (African political economics classes) but none of
these changed my political stance.

It was only when I got much older that I started to re-look at what was
happening in some parts of the World and thus started to change my views.

Kotu, finally, I would like to assert that intelligence is relative.  In my
years of working for corporate America, I have taken full advantage of the
fact that people around me have different strengths.  IMO, the Jola woman
building ridges for rice growing is extremely intelligent in her own right.
The Jaliba who can recount history for generations is also brilliant in
his/her own right.  Therefore, I think the term is overly ballyhooed. :)

I will deal with some of the issues you raised when Bakary and I resume
sparring on the term terrorism.