GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 03:11:09 PST
Yet again, the Independent lands into a fracas with the APRC government.
This time, President Yahya Jammeh is suing the Independent for libel
concerning a story about the President marrying a third wife. It is
imperative that the story be true and substantiatable. At the end of the
day, the Independent will come out, with honour and integrity in tact, more
case-hardened to the dangers afflicting any press that wants to be free,
outspoken and vibrant in The Gambia. The knives have always been out for the
Independent. So it will be rash for the paper to publish such a story
without the facts first, knowing fully well that the slightest error will
spell doom and gloom for them.

The Independent must draw its strength of defence in court from its sources
that tipped them off the information about Jammeh's 'third wife.' Here, it
must be made very clear that in the absence of a free flow of information
from government to people, people to government, reporters and editors have
no other choice but to rely on 'sources'. Sources are the most frequent
source of information for a journalist. But they must be believable,
unimpeachable, before they can be rendered publishable. Editors must use
their editorial wisdom and experience to help in ascertaining the
authenticity of their sources. Alongside, they must do their own
investigation into the integrities of their sources and the information
supplied by these sources. Note: not all sources are trustworthy. So an
editor needs to be wary of tipsters.

Should it become necessary to protect the identities of his sources in court
for safety reasons, an editor then must rely on his acquaintance with his
sources'information enhanced by his own investigation into the matter. He
must go to court fully prepared to defend his information to the public.

But is the Independent's article true or false or libellous? Well, if the
courts prove the story to be true, more honour to the Independent. But if
the story is discovered to be false, then a huge set-back for the paper.
However, I find it incomprehensible how the Independent can be sued for
libel in this matter. Just for being wrong about Jammeh marrying a third
wife if proved out later? I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of libel
has to do with publishing information harming somebody's reputation. It is
beyond my comprehension how Jammeh's reputation would be harmed here.
Further, to win a case of libel, in my understanding, there has to be an
"intent" to discredit, harm domebody's reputation. It is not easy proving
that anymore than finding a needle in a haystack.

But then I may be wrong. Nonetheless, in the event that the story is found
to be untrue, it could be described as "misinformation" rather than
libellous. In my opinion.

True, it is always good for journalists to get their facts right before
going to press. But accomplishing this feat has been made more difficult for
Gambian journalists by the unblushing reluctance on the part of government
to provide information to the press. In The Gambia, civil servants are
barred from speaking to the press, a tradition Jammeh inherited from the PPP
regime. In this case, journalists find it hard to obtain information from
the other side. And with a piece of information vital to the national
psyche, journalists would rather not throw that into the ash-can; but rather
develop a news story out of it, hoping for immediate responses from the
other side of the story.

The Independent had tried seeking confirmation or otherwise, of its
information from a number of officials, some close to the president. But
they all were tight-lipped, refusing to utter even a faint murmur. If they
had revealed some vital information, most definitely, Independent's article
would have been slanted differently. Alas, such unmitigated reticence by
Gambia government officials on information vital to the national good, keeps
frustrating journalists' efforts to dish out unimpeachable information to
the public. Add the clampdown that comes later. It continues being difficult
working as a journalist in The Gambia.

So here is to the Independent's ordeal, and the impending frustration over
the rigmarole of court proceedings. Let justice be dispensed. Until then,I
stand by my comrades-in-arms.

Cherno Baba Jallow
Detroit, MI