GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 16:44:07 +0000
Thanks for the clarifcation. I would however like to re-iterate that I am
not saying the UDP SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT boycot the forthcoming National
Assembly Elections. What I am saying is that their timing has nothing to do
with the fairness of otherwise of the electoral process. I also maintain
that the continued consolidation of the UDP/PPP/GPP coaliation will, in the
long run, do more harm to the UDP than if they sever their links now and
engage the other parties as well so as to form a formidable challenge to the
APRC and thus contribute possitively in our democratisation process.

PDOIS's Vision as posted by Adama states:

"Our Vision

To safeguard in words and practice the role of National Assembly members as
trustees of the power and aspirations of the sovereign Gambian people, who
must, at all times, be determined to foster and safeguard liberty, justice,
dignity and people centre development in accordance with the dictates of
conscience and the people's interests."

This, in a nutshell, is what we as a people expect. That is why I said that
it will be a big loss to the Gambian people if people like Kemeseng Jammeh
are absent from the National Assembly.

Another issue I find difficult to understand about the UDP is their
inconsistencies. When Bishop Johnson was sacked as chairman of the IEC, they
said it was unconstitutional and declared their intention to challenge its
legality. While on the one hand PDOIS stated that until the legality of
Bishop Johnson's removal was settled by the high court, they will not
participate in any elections organized by the new chairman, Gabriel Roberts.
On the other hand the UDP while saying that Gabriel Roberts election as
chairman of the IEC was unconstitutional, participated in the by elections
organized by him.

Secondly, even before counting of the presidential election votes were
completed, the UDP leader called Jammeh and conceded. While people were
applauding him for being a decent looser, he reneges on his earlier decision
saying that the electoral process was neither free nor fair. This was done
even though his party militants were at all the polling stations,
scrutinized thaose who came to vote and then signed the results as
representing the will of the people.

Thirdly, having written to the IEC chairman voicing their concerns about
what they called the massive transfer of voters from one constituency to
another and illegal voter registration amongst other griviences and having
given the chairman of the IEC what tantamounts to an ultimatum, vis-a-vis, a
demand for the IEC to MAKE AVAILABLE TO the UDP HEAD REGISTERS FOR ALL
CONSTITUENCIES ON OR BEFORE 22nd DECEMBER 2001. This they said was to
"ensure that no illegal registration carried out is further injected into
the registration in June". Emphasis, mine. Considering the fact that they
made this demand by a letter dated the 19th December, why could they not at
least wait until the expiry of their 3 day ultimatum? Again why would the
want "to ensure that no illegal registration carried out is further injected
into the registration in June", when they already have evidence to the
contrary, evidence that has so far not been presented to anybody but rather
based on speculation?

The whole thing does not make any sense to me or is it a case of selective
amnesia on your part? Doesn't the inconsistencies that I pointed out worry
you at all? Couldn't they have presented their evidence of any electoral
mal-practice to the other parties and take a collective action? Do you want
to believe that both the PDOIS and NRP leadership will sit idley by while
the APRC in colaboration with the IEC rigs the forth coming election,
elections that they will be putting D5,000.00 per candidate to contest?

You what Yankuba Touray had to say about the UDP/PPP/GPP boycot? He said it
will have no consequence for our democratization process. He posited that
the UDP/PPP/GPP coalition used up all their resources during the past
presidential elections and don't have sufficient money to field in 45
candidates and campaigne effectively. Could this be true? Just wondering.

Have a good day, Gassa.