GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maria Caterina Ciampi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:28:49 -0400
Mariama,

I am not saying what I think is right or wrong for Africa, as you so rightly
point out.  It is absolutely not my place to do so.  I was simply stating
that the depictions I have seen of Africa are ALWAYS and UNIQUELY the
so-called "traditional" portrayals, very much idealized, I should add, at
the expense of a more balanced presentation encompassing various ways of
living in Africa, including urban and rural.  I was expressing my desire to
see images of urban Africa in the media, rather than village life only.