GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:44:42 +0000
                    Folks,

  Below is my resignation letter, I tendered about a week ago. This mail is  meant to set the records straight. The NADD leadership problem is also having its toll on the private press.  Please read on................

  Thanks you Mr.Ceesay, for your observations. I stood by the story,  we published about the NADD leadership crisis and was reported in good faith, without malice or ill will. Myself and Ebrima G Sakareh, investigated the piece and we have no cause to doubt the  reliability of our sources.  God willing, we will be vindicated by the test of time. The failure to  organise the much talked about Brikama, NADD flag bearer naming rally, is a substantial evidence to suggest that there is a leadership problem faced by the coalition.  The truth shall prevail at the end of the day. We harboured no grudges against NADD.

  I appreciate your efforts to contact Sam Sarr to clear the air, but this does not in anyway  suggested that our story was erroneous. Politicians are free to give their side of the story on controversial issues of this nature, but  independent minded journalists will continue to raise questions about the delay on the side of NADD, to  name a flag bearer at this hour. We got our story on the nomination of OJ, from well placed NADD insiders and due to the ethics of the journalism profession, we cannot violate the right to protect sources. Journalists who takes the pride of naming their sources, often ran out of audience. We shall continue to protect our sources and will not hesitate to apologise to our readers, if  we erred in our daily reportage of events.

   We worked as a team and as such if there are inaccuracies in our reportage of Gambian politics and beyond,  we should all bear the responsibility. It is a collective responsibility. You as the managing editor and proprietor of the paper reserves the right to vet stories prior to publication. You also reserves the right not to publish stories if you feel, that they might undermine the credibility of  The ALLGAMBIAN. Such decisions can be subjected to editorial meetings or correspondence just as you did today.

  I remember fully well when you asked me to prepare a "MISSION STATEMENT FOR THE ALLGAMBIAN," which is today serving us as the guiding touch light for the paper. It will tantamount to betrayal  of trust, if I should at any given time, depart from the spirit of that mission statement I authored. I can also remember, when you asked me to be writing editorials for the paper and also to serve as Editor-in-Chief. I  clearly stated time and time to our readers that the said editorials were the opinion of the paper on burning issues of the day. That they were not news items, but the opinion of the paper. Newspapers all over world had their positions on issues. Readers reserve the right to agree or disagree on our editorials.  The idea basically is to enable our readers  to make informed decisions on issues we report. When I write editorials, I tried to address topical issues and cares less about who is affected.

  We as a news medium, owe no obligation to any political party in The Gambia and should try to keep our journalistic distance from manipulative forces bent on undermining our project. These are people pretending to be fans of  THE ALLGAMBIAN, when in actual fact their objective is to divide us.  I do not want to name names at this hour, but a  so called journalist in the recent past tried to raise silly remarks about my editorials. I worked very hard for my unshakable credibility over the years and would not allow anybody to black mail me in the name of objective reporting.

  I'm equally concerned about the credibility of The AllGAMBIAN  and will not allow anybody to use this medium, which  we worked for tirelessly to sell its  image to Gambians and the outside world. You can bear me witness, for having turned down couple of unconfirmed stories filed by our Banjul Correspondent in the recent past. The said pieces could not be independently verified by sources on the ground and as such  if published was going to undermine the credibility of  the paper. My actions were geared towards safeguarding the paper's reputation.

  In view of the recent developments,  I humbly ask you to identify somebody among our team or an outsider to be writing editorials for The ALLGAMBIAN. This decision of mine is made in good faith and for best interest of the paper. You can also  identify an Editor-in-chief , with immediate effect. This does not necessarily mean that, I'm withdrawing from The ALLGAMBIAN. I'm still part  and parcel of  The ALLGAMBIAN and will do everything in my means to help you realised your online endeavours. As stated earlier, my decision is personal and is geared for the common good.

  We should move on and continue to work as a team. Our country is at cross roads and it is only the private media that can help to expose the atrocities perpetrated by the Jammeh, administration. The media, will fail Gambians, if it allowed  to be reduced as mouth piece for any interest group. We should report the news, irrespective of who is affected. We all have political affiliations, as human beings, but this should not  affect our job as journalists.

  I have high regards for you, and will never doubt your commitment to the struggle. United we stand, divided we fall. Pa Nderry, will not be a party to black mailing schemes and will never hesitate to call it a day with your paper, if I feel that my journalistic principles and ethics are threatened. I have good intentions for The ALLGAMBIAN, which you rightly alluded to in your letter of enquiry. I must add that my resignation as Editor-in-chief of the paper and editorial column anchor man does not suggest that I'm no longer with this leading paper. I believe that, I can still positively contribute to the development of the paper, even in the absence of such responsibilities. I love my country and will team up with genuine progressive forces committed to the true ideals of the journalism ethics. My commitment for the paper, is more stronger today than ever before.

  I regret for any inconvenience this decision might caused to our readers and fellow editorial members. I just feel like taking a back seat for now. I thank you all for the support and encouragement  given to me during my association with the paper.It was not an easy decision to call it quits, but I'm still loyal and committed to supporting my brother and colleague Bubacarr Ceesay to realise his dream for The Gambia.

  Regards

  Pa Nderry M'Bai

Bubacarr Ceesay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Mr. M'bai:

You're doing a good job providing valuable service to our readership on
issues affecting their daily lives. I thank you and still respect you for
that. I will remind you of the day when i first delegate you to write
editorials for this medium. The editorial column is meant to serve as the
mouthpiece for all members of allgambian, not and individual or outside
groups. I hope this will help you understand where i am coming from.

Following the events that have caused so much alarm about the piece on
NADD nominations, I have taken it upon myself as the manager of the medium
to verify facts. I talked to uncle Sam Sarr of Foroyaa yesterday about the
said happenings and quite frankly i was shocked to learned that your
reportage was in
stark contrast to the explanation i received. My findings are now posted
on the site for your review. The Nadd leadership is open to the press and
there are no obstacles as to why we would be denied first hand
information. It is our responsibility to verify information received from
sources before posting articles that have the potential to stain our
credibility as a reliable media outlet.

In this regard, i want to categorically make it clear that we cannot allow
interest groups with agendas to fight their egoistic battles using the
cover of this medium. This is not what allgambian is about and cannot be
turned into such. I harbor nothing against any politicians or political
groups; our goal in this effort is to see a meaningful change for the
Gambia. I have equal respect for all Nadd leaders and ready to support
whoever's the peoples' chosen leader. I have personally criticized Nadd
members in the past and will do so whenever i have justifiable grounds to
do so. This i hope should be true of all of us.

I am requesting explanation or back up of your facts and naming of
credible sources on the said happenings within the NADD as a burden of
proof. If this cannot be done, then i have no alternative but to drop this
piece and any subsequent as an allgambian editorial. If you so desire
otherwise, you are entitled to your opinion and the opinion page is for
that purpose.

If you do realize that your reportage was in error, it would be worthwhile
to come up with a correction to rectify the situation. I believe this will
the right decision to maintain the confidence and trust of the readership.

Thank you for your attention.

Buba