GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:03:11 EST
My brother Oko Drammeh,  I hope you take this as just a gesture towards
pursuit of the truth and the effort to make sure we as Gambians make all
effort to protect each others' interest.
I am glad to hear you say that your trip to China was not for the purpose of
making arrangments to pirate the music of Gambian artists because this
certainly would not be compatible with your statements declaring your love
and respect for Gambian artists, and I am not doubting that in any way at
all.

Therefore, I think it is important for you as well as anyone else accused of
making arrangments to pirate the music of any Gambian artist to definitely
discuss this as opposed to not doing so.
I think that people like yourself, as well as Gambian artists are the ones
who should push for copyright laws, so cooperation, not discord is what will
help here, and I am glad to see that there is still respect and admiration
from you  even in the midst of these exchanges.
I think that with the experience of people like Mr Jobe ( whose family and
mine were neighbours at Wellington street) and other seasoned Gambians
musicians like him, and people like yourself who it appears have experience
in the Gambian as well as stateside music industry, there can be perhaps a
joint effort to work forthe establishment of copyright laws in Gambia, as
well as working to remedy any unlawful use of artists' property that may have
occurred.
I think that leaving a legacy in your industry will not mean much if joining
hands to fight for laws to protect artists property rights is not a part of
the process.

Jabou Joh

Jabou Joh