GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Njai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:55:48 EST
Can Jammeh Run The Country From Kanilai?

The persistent rumours that led to our question "is it true that Jammeh will
stay in Kanilai for 6
months because State house is being renovated?, seem to hold water for there
was no
government reaction . If Jammeh is really going to stay for that long he
needs to consider the
following: Can he run the country from his residence in Kanilai?

Although nothing seems to have been said about the above in the
constitution, it beats the
imagination of many Gambians that Jammeh can effectively run the country
from Kanilai The
reason is simple: Kanilai  is remote and the roads leading to it are not
that practicable . what
about conventional practice, telecommunications , space for aides ,
logistics and security .

We vividly recall that the late justice Sam Forster advocated during the
first legal year that in
view of the change of the Senegambian confederation, Gambia should think of
relocating the
capital farther than closely to the borders. He found Banjul not far from
Karang. Of course, the
suggestion brought laughter but his point was made for what it s worth

Now history teaches us that governments were forced by circumstances to move
in to other
locations for emergency reasons like war or serious internal conflicts

The late Lamine Gueye convened the Senegalese national assembly to his
private residence to
vote a no confidence of Mamadou Dia who got troops to throw MP's out of
parliament building
. Kabila went to Lumumbashi when the going was tough for him. De Gaulle
moved to London
to fight Hitler . We do not think that we have similar situations here that
warrant the Kanilai
option.

State house is not a small name. It ids a symbol of sovereignty of the
nation , and the president
as the first citizen must uphold that symbol of nationhood