GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:04:59 -0800
Jabou,
Scott Ritter may have been one of the inspectors but now his credibility is
at issue. (see this story
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030125_1256.html). Of course, this is a
conspiracy by the Bush administration to silence a dissenter.

On the issue of waiting for inspectors to finish their job, this is a bogus
argument used by France and other countries to stall any action on Iraq. If
France and other anti-action groups have their way, this "inspection" will
go on forever. These inspectors are not supposed to be detectives, as Blair
and others rightly pointed out. The onus is on Saddam to come out and prove
for all that he is free of weapons of mass destruction. The report by Blix
confirms that he has not been forthcoming. All Saddam is doing now is toying
with these inspectors and with the size of his country, if he does not want
anything to be found, it will not be found. The only way to rid him of his
weapons is to get him out of power through the use of force.

I don't believe the US is or has bypassed the UN - atleast not yet. The
truth is that it's the US that has prodded to UN to action. In every
organisation, (especially one with the size of the UN) some members need to
lead and not be overcomed by inertia that seems to be beseting almost
everyone nowadays. On the issue of peace around the globe, the UN has been
slowly pushing itself into irrelevance because of inaction - Saddam
recognized this and expelled UN inspectors in 1998 without any addtional
action from the UN. If the US had not taken the lead to liberate Kuwait, I
doubt the UN would have mobilized any force capable of beating Saddam. If
the US had not taken the lead in Korea in 1950s, the UN almost certainly
would not have pushed back the North Koreans. In both these situations, the
US took charge and the UN gave its blessing. The truth is that without the
US, the UN would not have been what it is today.

Ousman