GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aisha Sallah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:16:11 GMT
I must say that I have long been monitoring the G-L, until recently when I
decided to join. I regret to say that since the G-L started up to this day
today, all the message I have been getting from here is, if I sum it up it
would be a cry for political- cultural- and tribal unrest in the Gambia. I
might be wrong but sorry this is what I can summarize from here.

Have we ever stop to think what a hell the Gambia will break into if hell
breaks loose, isn't July 30 1980 and April 10 2000 enough to teach us
lessons, must we seek for a third lesson how will that be? Can we predict
it? Must we become victims of our very selves? How long do we think it would
take us to build up again or do we maybe believe that the others will come
to our aid and make a marshal plan for us? So long I have only seen this
happen in Europe. Worst cases are still going on in Africa never has any
member of the UN come to aide the suffering all the sympathy we get is poor
africa again lets give them some secondhand things and some crack wheat
that's enough for them they aren't worth better.
Let me just quote a message from a Congolese(Zaire) whom I met and what he
said did really touch my heart. This is what he said "I became refugee from
the time Mobutu gain power, when Mobutu died I taught I could walk back home
but before I was able to grab my things to head home, hell fire broke out
again in Congo. Now I'm 65 years old, I spent all my precious time in
Europe, when will I enjoy africa?"

What I'm trying to say is that the democracy that we are looking for does
not exist anywhere in this world but we can build our democracy by being
there investing, contributing and educating the people rather than shouting
from the far east for the people to take up democracy in a violent way.

Pardon me if anyone feels insulted by my little contribution here, I did not
mean to, I'm just crying for peace.

/Aisha