GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:17:04 +0000
As  Gambians  and  non  Gambians   mourns  the  death   of   veteran
journalist  Deyda   Hydara,   another   unpleasant   news  broke  out,
this  time   the    death  of   Amadou  A  Barry alias   A  A    Barry,
former   news   Editor  of  The     Daily   Observer  and   The  Point
Newspaper  as  well.    It's   a   sad  moment  for  the  Point  and  The
Gambia  in  general.

I    have  worked  with  the  late   Barry  at    the  Point  in  the  early
  90's   as  a  reporter.     Barry  was  honest,   fearless,   independent
  minded   and   above  all   principled.      He    was  the  type  of
Editor   who  will  always   ensure   that   both  the  Opposition  and
Ruling  government   headed  by  dictator  Jammeh  were   given  fair  media
  coverage.     Editorial  staff  of   the  Daily  Observer  and  the
Point,   who  worked  with  our  departed  colleague  can  attest  to   this
  fact.    He   was  not  biased  at  all.    He  always  strives   for
accuracy  and  objectivity.

I    can   remember  Barry's    reaction  to   my  first  piece  submitted
to  him  for  editing.    All   what  he  said   was"Pa   Nderry,
journalism    is    your   field.      I    am  impressed  by  your
writings    and  keep   it   up.     I     will   talk   to  Deyda,   so
that     we  will  give  you   the  necessary     encouragement    and
support  you  deserved.     We  need   your   type   in   this  paper."

As    a    former   press  officer   for   the  defunct  military  junta,
Barry   was   kind   of  a  source  for   the  Point,    as   it  was
always  easy  for  him  to  verify  scoops   for   the  paper.     His
sources  in  government    will  not  hesitate  to   confirm  stories  for
him.   The   demise  of   such  an  asset  is    a    big   loss   to  The
Gambia   and   the  entire   media   fraternity.

I    remember   visiting   him  at  his  London  Corner  home   last  year
and   this  what  he told  me"Pa    Nderry,   i    have  been  following
your   stories.     You  are  doing  a  good  job.     The    point  is
more  vibrant  today.    Keep   up   the   good  work."     I    retorted
by  saying " Thanks   for   your   encouragement.     I   must  point  out
that     you  also    contributed  immensely  towards   my  success   as  a
   journalist.    We  are  trying   to  do  our   best   to   enlighten  our
  citizens   about  the   state  of   affairs"

Due   to   his  ailing  health  status,    Barry  took   a    voluntary
retirement   from  the  Point.    His    departure   was   badly  felt    by
  the  late   Deyda   Hydara,   Pap    Saine  and  the  entire  Point
editorial  staff.      Even   though  he   was  not  physically  present  at
    the  office,    he   tried   to   contribute   his  journalistic  input
  by  giving  advise  to  reporters  and   the  editorial  staff.

Barry    was   a   Muslim   to   the  core.     He    cared  for  the  poor
and  the  needy.     A  very  humble  and  down  to  earth   fellow.
I    am  sure   the    murder  of   his  long time  friend  and   colleague
Deyda   Hydara    might  also  further  worsen  his  health  condition.
Barry   was    very  close  to    Deyda.

He    was   a   man   of   truth.      My   condolence  to   the  Barry
family.      May    his   soul  rest  in  perfect  peace.     We   pray
that   God    will    provide  place  for  him    in  Janna.       Amen.