GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:03:48 -0500
Well, this is indeed a very sad event. My heart goes out to the family of
the slain student and to the numerous students that were injured during this
senseless act. I hope the Senegalese will handle the unfortunate death of
this student in a manner better than the callous way our illegal regime
handled the massacre of 15 innocent children in broad daylight. Our
sub-region is in a pathetic state. It is ironical that the country that is
giving sanctuary to the Gambian student leaders fleeing from Yaya's
brutality, would unleash brute force on its youths.

I always hesitate to poke my nose into the affairs of other countries,
especially those in our sub-region. Partly, it is because we have enough to
deal with in Gambia. But I have to say that it is sad to hear someone of
Wade's caliber try to blame the students for what happened. In the past, I
have ignored a lot of what I regard as unsavory traits shown by Wade. For
instance, the whole saga involving the release of Habre, was fishy to say
the least, bearing in mind that Habre's lawyer was a very close associate of
Wade. Wade's reported tirades against the Senegalese press also does not
portray an image of a true Democrat.

And now, this. According to reports, the students have been striking for
some time now. It is arrogant and insensitive for Wade to place the onus on
the students to go and talk to him in order to avert a bloody confrontation.
This is what is wrong with our leaders. If the government can send security
forces to go and massacre the students, why can't the government send
negotiators to talk to the students and make a genuine effort to meet some
of the realistic demands of the students?

No one is giving students and demonstrators carte blanche to do whatever
they wish. But it is wrong for governments to act in this heavy-handed
manner whenever their authority is challenged. These governments have to
exercise restraint and some degree of proportionality. They should also
encourage dialog with their opponents.

I hope Wade learns from the Gambian experience and ensure that this crime is
investigated thoroughly and the culprits are punished. I also hope that Wade
will cease trying to ascribe blame to the students for not seeking him out.
He is the servant of the people of Senegal. He should be the one seeking
people out. I am sure that the student demonstration in Dakar cannot be
anything like the demonstration that was mounted during the Bush
inauguration, in terms of numbers and animosity. How come at the end of the
day not a single American lost his or her life during the demonstration? It
is time for introspection for Wade. He should be looking at himself and his
government rather than trying to blame the victims.
KB