GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2006 14:24:10 +0100
                                  Freedom Newspaper Mail Bag-What our readers say today!!!
                            By: Alhagie Bah

                           Freedom Newspaper MUST SURVIVE
  Dear Editor,

Against all odds, I would like to call on every concerned Gambian to help the Freedom Newspaper along its trial period.

We have all been complaing that Jammeh and his Government are surprising Freedom of Expression.! Pa Nderry has taken a very courageous step by creating a VITURAL VENTIL through which Gambians can talk out their frustrations over the political system at home.

I was not surprised the last time when some people were calling on PA Nderyy to "censure" some contributions. Others  accused Pa Nderry of being biased for editing their pieces according to the ethics of journalism! I found this "ironical" in the sense that President Jammeh is being accused of "censuring" everything journalists write or publish between Kartong and Koina!

One thing I have discovered is that HUMAN BEINGS cannot handle ABSOLUTE FREEDOM. You give them maximum freedom, they ask for controls, you control them, they cry for freedom! Whatever the case, ABSOLUTE FREEDOM is an ILLUSION which does not EXIST in real life!

Another issue I would like to point out is that the internet is the NIGHTMARE of politicians, religious fundamentalists and governments around the world! No one can "turn-off" the Internet or control it outright! The CHINESE and some ARAB governments are trying but some of their smart citizens are beating their Cyber Police in their own games. Just the way the Editors of Freedom Newspaper are giving our Jammeh stress!

Though Islamic fundamentalists are bedeviling the West and causing people in their sermons, they are helplessly watching how their own daughters are "flirting" over the Internet and exchanging nude pictures despite all restrictions of movements, and associations with boys in the streets!

Finally, PA Nderry, do not be scared by threats of "libel suites"; just get copies of the American and Gambian MEDIA laws to prepare yourself for future challenges.Keep up the brave and good work.

                                                 Editor's Note:
  Alhagie Bah's letter is a testament to the fact that we may disagree on issues without being disagreeable. Clearly, Mr. Bah has not only shown maturity in judgment, he also exhibits a temperament that is reconciliatory given the fire-storm that followed a piece he wrote a while ago. We should never be too proud to face our adversaries in the hope of mending fences. In very simple language, that is what it means to be brave. Mr. Bah's assessment of the internet and its impact in our daily lives is accurate.
  The freedomnewspaper will endeavour to inform and educate Gambians and friends of The Gambia in every corner of this planet, because we realize that it is only through an informed and educated citizenry that we can move our country forward. We are aware some elements would rather sweep the dirty deeds of our government under the bed and forget it there. At the freedomnewspaper, we operate by a different social paradigm, because we believe that whatever our government does, must be brought to light to enable our citizens to look at it, scrutinize it, assess it, and finally to make educated decisions as to whether their government is serving their interest.
  Finally, we are encouraged by Mr. Bahs comments, and we will continue to bring the facts out to our fellow citizens around the world. We realize that there is a news blackout in The Gambia today with the closure of the Independent Newspaper, and we will do all we can to fill that gaping void. Our citizens back home in The Gambia keep informing us that freedomnewpaper is the only source of real information now; this means that we have a huge task in our hands, but we will not fail or falter.
  Mathew K. Jallow, Associate Editor.

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 (Archive on Tuesday, May 30, 2006)
Posted by PANDERRYMBAI  Contributed by PANDERRYMBAI
    Return
        Rating:           [input] 1   [input] 2   [input] 3   [input] 4   [input] 5    Comments:      Save
          Current Rating:  3.54                        Rating:   4    Like is or NOT my name is ALHAGIE BAH. I amn NOT a journalist; not hiding             Rating:   3    Allah the Almighty bless Jammeh and the humble Gambians            Rating:   3    People are asking for a censorship cos some articles that are geared towards damaging people's characters are unacceptable            Rating:   5    warn my brother Cabba bajo to quite self and on braying party Aprc known as against peoples right an confused them APRC            Rating:   3    Pa we all know is courageous. You fake your name.            Rating:   3    Ebrima Sankareh+Ebrima Ceesay= Alhajie Bah            Rating:   3    You quote ethis , why hide under a pen name to attack people's personality?            Rating:   3    I love to read their dirty comments on this paper. That means that they are feeling the pain right in their butt holes.            Rating:   3    If Mathew is a donkey then what are you? A
 rhino? These Jammeh ass holes should roll back and shit in their pants.            Rating:   1    that is a biased report mr drunken mathew you work for pa he pays for your beer you donkey            Rating:   5    well articulated Mr Jallow, this what we needed. freedomnews, keep us inform. i visit your cyber is flying highier             Rating:   5                Rating:   5

      Copyright 2006 (c) Freedom Newspaper, LLC.   :  Powered By PointClick  :  Terms Of Use  :  Privacy Statement [input]   [input]   [input]

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい