GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gambian Reunion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 03:43:48 -0500
Mr.Sainey Faye (Interim Secretary)

Welcome to the Atlanta community, and we must first commend you for your
sudden reappearance to the NEW Gambia of  Atlanta and your pledged
commitment to make a difference in our community. We would hold you to
that.

We also want to agree with you that the programs you highlighted are well
needed not only in Atlanta, but in all progressive communities, and any
current day textbook can echo such ideas.  Our issue here is that we must
refrain from hopelessly sending out the false signals that all
organizations have united as one, because it is a blatant misinformation
and negotiations are still underway.  A constitution cannot be adopted by
a few people especially one which so rigidly restricts the fundamental
principle of the individual to choose and furthermore, it requires
scrutiny .Your tactics are both forcefully hegemonic and machiavellian
giving no regard to the  fundamental principles of democracy which you so
often preach.

 While we also agree that a community organization is needed in Atlanta to
address these issues, your historical perspective, albeit with a hint of
revival  and the possibility of tongue in cheek optimism, is deficient but
well noted. One thing we disagree on is the governing structure of what a
UNITED community organization should look like.  It is interesting how you
so prestigiously signed “Interim Secretary” under your name.  We have yet
to see Musa Jeng, Solomon Sylva, and the rest of the defunct AGCO members
titles who are cowardly hiding behind you.  Should we guess that an
interim Auditor for Musa Jeng or designated July Fourth Disc Jokey for
Solomon Sylva is right on the money? Enlighten us, will you?

The fact of the matter is that GRO does not dance to anybody’s tune and
would not lend itself to mediocrity and inadequacy.  We were silent only
because we believed in your commitment to EQUAL REPRESENTATION, which we
collectively voted for on March 31st, 2001, until the July fourth
aspirants began to show their true colors, and be rest assured that they
would fail again like they miserably did last year.

To reiterate our position and the rest of the organizations in Atlanta who
have yet to be represented in the meetings, and to paraphrase from your
initial letter sent to all the organizations in Atlanta dated September
23rd, 2000 claiming that “ A community organization could not be
effectively launched without the general participation of all existing
organizations,  groups, clubs, religious groups and the community at
large, and that the politics of the July fourth compromised the initial
mission and objectives of the community organization ”, We therefore want
you to understand that THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MUST COME FROM THESE pre-
existing organizations, and qualified and dedicated individuals
irrespective of whether you are a  “KOTO or NDO”.

To quote the great Kocha Barma- “MAK JARR NA BAYI CHI REW” , but also
remember that “BURR DU MBO'KA because these are the tendencies that often
times precipitate dictatorship.  We must stop the power struggle and pay
attention to issues which go beyond fourth of July and  are now
confronting the Atlanta Gambian community which you so eloquently
highlighted.

We are not interested in an interim committee to address the July fourth,
unless it is reflective of all existing organizations in Atlanta, meaning
that your baggage boys who so naively believe that you can give them
legitimacy in the community, would either have to recreate AGCO or get out
of the way, because GRO is very capable of managing a three day event.

See Sainey Faye,a successful organization balances strengths by offsetting
differing interests, while always taking into account public good. GRO is
only interested in PUBLIC GOOD and EQUAL REPRESENTATION . Disseminating
distorted and premature information to the general public while
negotiations are underway is manipulative and simply irresponsible. At GRO
we value CREDIBILITY and TRUST. These values, my friend, must be earned by
representing the community truthfully at all times. Winning at all cost is
not our forte. The public’s interest is our highest priority. Therefore we
cannot afford to mislead those who gave us the responsibility to lead.

This will be the last you will hear from us, because we are relaunching
the community organization to reflect EQUAL REPRESENTATION, and put
together a viable organization that will lend CREDIBILITY to Atlanta , so
that everyone will feel represented and not acquiesce to antiquated modus
operandi. Please remember that EQUAL REPRESENTATION IS THE KEY, even if it
means loosing your illusionary prestigious titles because our arguments
are based on nothing but FACTS.

Sincerely,
Ablie Njie- LEK BI
G.R.O of ATLANTA.