GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:58:10 -0400
Folks, the clocking of a sad decade for Gambia in ticking, presided by
criminals.  You have the IMF and UN tribunal following the money as the
thieves and criminals run for cover.  However, the criminals are not going
down easy and have embarked on a scorched earth con, by lavishing the loot
in rediculous style, crowned with the circus below, presided by none other
than Injustice Paul, The Magistrate Pirate.  All, part of grand con and
theft.

But, we the people, can do something about this.  Let us channell our
anger by mobilizing our resources to get rid of this cancer in our
system.  Folks, you got to contribute financially to the Democracy Project
to Save the Gambia.  It is the STGDP that made the bulk of the sponsorship
of the Alliance to defeat the APRC in Jarra West.  To those that did not
believe, the Alliance themselves told you that they were financed by you,
the people.  In order for us to kill off this serpent that is Yaya and the
APRC, we need each and everyone of you to help liberate Gambia.  We cannot
just sit and complain endlessly, when we can pool our resources together
and send these criminals packing.  On this day of mourning for the Gambian
Nation (July 22, 2004), I ask you to really reflect on the Gambian
situation and evaluate yourself (rich or poor, young or old, and male or
female).  What have you done and are you doing for your country at her
hour of distress?  If you feel that you stood up and are counted in word
and in deed in her rescue, then bless your soul and continue to stand up
to save her.  However, if you have been sitting down all along, then it is
not too late to stand up and join those who stood up all along.  We need
each fibre of you and that is what it will take to save Gambia.  We are
counting on you and Gambia is going to be liberated by none, but you and
I.

To our fellow citizens on the ground, please boycott from attending your
own funeral.  When $3,000,000 is wasted while 70% of your fellow citizens
struggle for one meal a day, 365 days of the year, what are you
celebrating?  Why would you march in front of the very person that ruined
the lives of you and your children?  How would this wasting of our megre
resources help your life, a day after the clown parade?  Please join the
Alternative and show your disgust by staying at home.  Let the
women/Men/Children show Yaya that we are not going to help him drown us as
a nation.

Chi Jaama

Joe

DAY 2 of PAUL COMMISSION
SoS Jahumpa, Faal testify
By Ousman Darboe & Lamin Dibba
Jul 21, 2004, 09:48

 Email this article
 Printer friendly page

On the second day of the Paul Commission sitting at the conference hall of
the department of state for Trade, Industry and Employment, Bala Garba
Jahumpa and Samba Faal, secretaries of state for Works, Construction and
Infrastructure, and Youth and Sports respectively, have made public
disclosures of their assets and properties.

In his testimony, SoS Jahumpa told the commission that he has a fixed
deposit account with D704,000 savings. This account, he said, was opened
on 6 February 1995 after his appointment by the Gambia Government.

SoS Jahumpa said in 1997, he made an investment of D84,000 on Central Bank
treasury bills.
The statement of the account was produced, tendered and marked as exhibit.

He told the commission that he also has a current account and fixed
deposit accounts at the Trust Bank. "I did not close any of my accounts
except the one in Cuba. I was an Ambassador both in Cuba and the United
Kingdom from 1997 to 2003. I closed this account when I was called back
and since then I do not hold any foreign account, likewise my wife," he
explained.

Asked by Counsel Emmanuel Fanbenle what was his official remuneration, SoS
Jahumpa replied: "About D12,000 plus monthly. When I was an ambassador, I
was receiving US$1,675 [monthly]. I don’t have any other source of income.
I have applied for a plot of land once. I was allocated one plot on
October 1, 2003 and I have already spent D20,000 fencing it. I have not
given any land to my wife and I don’t have any farm land. The only
property I have is my private car. I am presently living in a hotel. I am
trying to secure housing from Social Security and Housing Finance."

SoS Jahumpa further explained that he has a Toyota Lexus car which was
given to him by the Malian millionaire, Babanding Futanka Sissokho in
October 1996. "The car is a gift from my friend and is still in good
condition. I have not bought any car for my wife. I do not have any items
of jewellery; gold or any other thing and I am not investing in the
insurance scheme. I was offered a three bedroom house by Social Security
and Housing Finance at a price of D600,000 or with a mandatory down
payment of D151,000," he stated.
SoS Jahumpa then produced the letter of offer from SSFHC dated 16 February
2004 and three receipts of payments made. He said the property has not yet
been released to him.

SoS Jahumpa also tendered documents of his overseas official travelling
expenses and allowances from October 2003 and promised to submit records
of his official trips from 1994 to October 2003 and that he has never
received imprest, only per diems.
"I do not pay for anybody’s overseas school fees. My daily overhead
expenses are D200 to D300 and I only pay for food at the hotel I am
staying at," SoS Jahumpa concluded.
Lawyer Amie Joof-Conteh appeared for Mr Jahumpa.
Samba Faal

In his testimony, Mr Samba Faal said he was appointed secretary of state
on 28 March 2002 and that between 1994 and 1996, he worked as a town clerk
at the Banjul City Council and was paid D60,000 per annum. As mayor from
1996 to 2002, he said he received D120,000 per annum.

SoS Faal said his wife is employed as the head of business studies at the
Gambia Technical Training Institute and she receives D5,300 per
month. "She has a shop where she sells drinks and many other condiments
and gets about D180,000 per annum on the sales and returns of her goods,"
he said.

Asked by counsel Fanbenle whether he knew Abdoulie Faal, SoS Faal answered
in the positive. "He is my brother and he is in Germany. I would like to
add on the declaration form that I got the sum of D46,000 when my father
died after selling his property.

It is only once that I applied officially for a plot of land and it was
allocated to me in 1990. From 1994 to now, I have not been allocated with
any," he explained.
SoS Faal said he lives in his compound and that he took a loan from the
BCC, which he paid in monthly instalments, to build it. Personal items, he
said he acquired from 1994 are two television sets, one computer, one VCR,
a library, freezer, a refrigerator and an electricity generator costing
D3,200.

SoS Faal added that he has a 4x4 wheel Nissan Terrano vehicle which was
given to him as a gift by his brother in Germany. He said he paid a
customs duty of D42,000 on it.

"I have an account with Standard Chartered Bank but it was open before
July 1994. I have another dormant account with the International Bank for
Commerce (IBC) in Serrekunda and also one with the Arab Islamic Bank. My
wife and I also have an account for each of my three children and they are
educational trust fund accounts. I will provide the commission with the
statements of the accounts. I do not have any account outside the country.
I also have one educational endowment insurance for my daughter at
Gamstar. I pay D250 per month and so far made a contribution of D4,200."

SoS Faal said he has not taken any loan from the Gambia government and no
contract has been awarded to him. He said he is a political scientist by
training.

"During the Commonwealth Games, as a secretary of state and head of the
Gambian delegation, I was entitled to go with one person, be it my wife or
anybody, so I decided to go with my eight-year-old son, Sering Alieu Faal.
I paid for his expenses from my per diem of 130 pounds sterling per day
for three weeks."

SoS Faal did not make any reference to any note and was not represented by
a lawyer.
The commission continues sitting on Monday, 26 July

--
Chi Jaama
Joe Sambou